The REAL FOOD recipe thread

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Great advice free!! Thank you!!

I have not gained any more weight since August or so. But what I have doesn't want to let go! It can be depressing when I'm moving my buns up that hill during my 4 mile walks. :rolleyes: (A friend gave me her old tredmill so I can continue to walk/run even in bad weather.)

I think I was over doing it on carbs on the weekends though. :p NO more cheating for me! Now I am really trying to get back to my original happy weight... Thanks for all the advice free and Auntie Zilla!

Real Food breakfast this morning:
1 slice of sprouted grain bread
1 hard boiled egg
1 slice of mozz. cheese
1/2 avocado
kombucha tea

:D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yes, the wheat berries I got are already sprouted...and quite yummy by the handful as well.

I bought some WW bagels this morning and when I got home I checked the nutrition label 46 g carbs per bagel! OUCH! Now for DS who likes his bread, this is better that white flour bagels, but not so good for my waistline.

I had a 1/2 topped with cream cheese, tomato, cuke, red onion,1/4 of an avo, radish sprouts and celtic seas salt. Washed it down with a smoothie- 1 cup yogurt (sweetened and flavored) 4 large strawberries, hand full fresh spinach, 1/2 banana, 1/2C black berries and filtered water.

I am guessing that the sweetened yogurt and the banana pretty much replaced the other half of the bagels....right? I am thinking plain yogurt should be my next trade off.

Yesterday I skipped the spinach in my smoothie and grated a carrot to add and it worked out perfectly....but again, another high GI food. :idunno

Edited to add....like BBH I need to drop a few lbs, so easing up are carbs is my plan. I love the advice Free gave about 2 carbs a day....gonna work on that!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Bananas are pretty high in sugar. When I eat yogurt, I pick greek yogurt and berries for the fruit.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
abifae said:
red sea salt is good. it has a very different flavor, almost tangier?

i eat plain yogurt with peanut butter and sliced fruit. usually berries :D i also will use a half apple in place of bread, or jicama.

half an apple with tuna fish salad or chicken salad, or cheese and sliced meat.... it's yummy. much lower carb. jicama is ever lower ;)

a thick slice of tomato is another fun bread alternative.
Great tips!

I love jicama! Tuna melt on a crisp, green apple slice...:drool

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Oh!! Abi!!

Not sure if you have tried these yet, but I found Cocoa Nibs at Mountain Mamas yesterday! It is a new product they are carrying. They are fantastic!!!

I was just thinking they would taste wonderful sprinkled on a low carb peanut butter chocolate mousse of some sort! Maybe I will have some left when you visit next week :D Maybe....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Coconut lime shrimp tonight. The recipe calls for rice does anyone know of a good low carb sub that will go well with coconut shrimp?

The recipe calls for coconut milk, unrefined coconut oil, red chili paste and lime juice, sounds good hua? I was just going to serve it with a nice salad, but if anyone can think of another side, perhaps over mashed cauliflower?

Thanks!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
This is likely too late but we actually often skip the carb "sides" at our supper meal and have more veggies. You will get all the carbs you need from your veggies, and besides, that allows me some popcorn or a piece of sprouted grain toast or some cheese on a bit of baguette later if I want.