The REAL FOOD recipe thread

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace said:
I was at the farmers market this weekend and was excited to find a new vendor! She has yummy beautiful sprouts and interesting veggies. Came home with some sunflower and radish sprouts as well as some sprouted wheat berries.

Not sure what to do with the wheat berries other than popping a handful in my mouth! Any ideas?
Were the wheat berries actually sprouting? I made that crock pot bread recipie once. It was wonderful. We sliced small pieces and had a slice of the warm bread at dinner.

If your interested in sprouting wheat grass and other stuff you should google it. It is very simple.

I cook wheat berries and have some in the fridge most of the time. They are not sprouted though. I mix them in my yogurt at breakfast. You can toast and season them as well. Use them in salads etc..

Good luck. gina

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I posted a link to it in the low carb thread. You know me and grains...LOL...but once you sprout a grain, it becomes a vegetable so it is no longer evil :D :gig

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I posted a link to it in the low carb thread. You know me and grains...LOL...but once you sprout a grain, it becomes a vegetable so it is no longer evil :D :gig
Really? :idunno I've been trying to figure out if my sprouted bread is ok on a low carb diet?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The more it is sprouted the closer it gets to salad! For bread, it is only sprouted a little. You can't really make bread with salad....but the protein levels go up and the glycemic index goes down. Can't give you numbers, but.....

Also, the phytate level plummets....remember, phytates are germination inhibitors, so in order for the seed to sprout, the phytates have to be neutralized. Win-win.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Great to know free!!!!!!

Ok here are the numbers for one slice of Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted 100% Whole Grain Bread (Flourless Low Glycemic)

Serving one slice:
Total carbs 15g
dietary fiber 3g
sugars 0g
Protein 4g
Total Fat 0.5g
sat fat < 0
trans fat 0
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 75 mg

Thiamine 8%
Phosphorus 8%
Riboflavin 2%
Magnesium 6%
Niacin 6%
Zinc 4%
Iron 4%
Vit. B6 4%

NO vitamin A, C or Calcium

Now if one were to need to drop a pound here or there how many carbs per day?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Under 60g of total carbs/day for most people works fine. If you have other issues, you may have to go lower. You may notice you don't lose weight but lose inches, so make sure you measure as well as weigh before you start and as you go. ESPECIALLY the waist and under the rib cage. This is where you will REALLY notice the loss.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Under 60g of total carbs/day for most people works fine. If you have other issues, you may have to go lower. You may notice you don't lose weight but lose inches, so make sure you measure as well as weigh before you start and as you go. ESPECIALLY the waist and under the rib cage. This is where you will REALLY notice the loss.
:bow Thank YOU!! Ever since we moved here (one year now) I have gained weight right there under my rib cage. I never had a problem before, so I am pretty depressed. I can only blame it on stress b/c I really didn't alter my eating habits until the last 3 months and by then it was too late. Ok I can easily do 60g.

I don't own a scale, I just judge my girth by my jeans. :D

By the way I have stevia now!!! :weee And "French" Celtic sea salt!!! WOO HOO!! :weee

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You may need to get a little more dramatic with the carbs to lose weight if you are not yet losing, considering all the exercise you get. Try two servings of carbs a day for a while, which is a slice of bread or about 1/2 c cooked beans, lentils, yams, etc. Limit the bread to every 2-3 days, and use the other foods as your carbs mostly. You should see a big change.

Then add the carbs back once you reach your goal weight, and figure out what maintains you. This will change the longer you are on a good diet. You will likely be able to add more carb servings once your body balances.

Some people gain weight on wheat in any form. If you are still on a plateau or even gaining, try eliminating all wheat, rye, barley and oats for two weeks. Then have one serving and see how you react. If you bloat or get uncomfortable or have headaches, etc, you have a mild wheat allergy/intolerance.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't own a scale, I just judge my girth by my jeans.
Me, too. My kids ruined my scale by splashing in the tub. No great loss though. Clothes are a better indicator of fitness level than weight. I weigh 10lbs less now than I did at my fittest, but I'm 2-3 sizes larger.
Dace, toasted wheat sprouts are tasty in salads & yogurt. Granola works too. Or don't toast them, chop 'em fine, add a little water & make a porridge, like oatmeal. Really sprouted berries are good on sandwiches.
Free, how long would you sprout them for bread? 1/4"?

Anyone know about Red Sea Salt? MIL sent me a 1/2 lb. It's pretty, but is it any good?

Latest posts