The REAL FOOD recipe thread

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
OK gals, tonight I am baking halibut with a layer of home-made mayo schmeared over the top and "crusted" with a top layer of garlic and (nourishing traditions style) crunched almonds. :drool Lemon on the side.

Side dish is fresh from the "tree" brussel sprouts steamed and tossed in butter, French-Celtic salt and fresh pepper. :drool

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this!

ETA: May I call you Auntie Zilla too? :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
How much sugar is in there?
Sugar??? I just used 3 lbs of honey and a bunch of grapes :p

Sorry...I didn't measure much :D I have 2 1gallon growlers full.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a great thread. I have just read it from beginning to end. This is also the way I cook, and I'll pull out some of my recipes to add later. But for now - I don't know where I saw them, or who wrote them, but to answer a couple of questions posed earlier: Chicken fat actually works quite well for pastry - I have used the rendered fat from raw chicken (not the skimmed fat from chicken broth); it has a less intense flavor. I usually use this pastry for savory things, like quiche or steak and kidney pie. (But I usually use lard now that I have found a source for leaf lard from naturally raised pigs). And, #2, for the crunch on top of green bean casserole, would toasted almond flakes or slivers do the trick? I've never made such a casserole, but toasted almonds are really nice with green beans (or brussels sprouts). I think hazelnuts would also be nice.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I was at the farmers market this weekend and was excited to find a new vendor! She has yummy beautiful sprouts and interesting veggies. Came home with some sunflower and radish sprouts as well as some sprouted wheat berries.

Not sure what to do with the wheat berries other than popping a handful in my mouth! Any ideas?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Sprout em and make sprout bread :D

Well Dan and I figured out the mead issue. I made to WAY too thick. The must (basic mixture you are fermenting) should taste like a sweet juice at the start. Mine was more like a concentrate. Fortunately there is an easy fix. Add more water which means even more mead! Woohoo!

Apparently Dan made the same mistake when he first made cyser (mead with apples). So the lesson is when making mead, you start with a strong juice...NOT cough syrup! LOL