The Recycapple Candle

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
to be sure they were soaked in wax before pouring the candle.

All the wicks I've been using have been from existing candles. In fact, I thought the easiest / most reliable thing to do would be to use an existing candle (tall skinny one) and put it in the middle of a jar, then pour melted candles around it... but this hasn't work in all the different ways I've tried it... and I have NO idea why.

I'm going to re-melt a few candles right now and see if I can get things to work. Any other tips / suggestions?

I have a MILLION candles of different sizes and shapes, so if there's a wick / candle type I can use for combining all into one, that would be awesome!

(melting on my wood stove in a pan of water)
IMG_20191222_133120.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So, you are melting old candles down to try to combine them into a new candle? My first thought was that if you are using parrafin, without adding any stearic acid, perhaps the wax is not hard enough, the melting temp is not appropriate to candle use. But, if you are recycling candles, that is not your issue.

I guess this ol' bird is fresh out of ideas.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All the wicks I've been using have been from existing candles. In fact, I thought the easiest / most reliable thing to do would be to use an existing candle (tall skinny one) and put it in the middle of a jar, then pour melted candles around it... but this hasn't work in all the different ways I've tried it... and I have NO idea why.

I'm going to re-melt a few candles right now and see if I can get things to work. Any other tips / suggestions?

I have a MILLION candles of different sizes and shapes, so if there's a wick / candle type I can use for combining all into one, that would be awesome!

(melting on my wood stove in a pan of water)
View attachment 12907

i'm pretty sure that size/type of wick does play a role. since i'd never looked into it more i checked out the wiki page for them. there is indeed an art/science to it a bit more than than i expected. if you are using thin taper wicks in a fatter candle you might need more than one.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, as an experiment, I took a tea candle and then poured some melted wax from old candles around it into a little jar, and once solid lit the candle.

Seemed to be working fine... but then it got to the point where it seemed that the wax was drowning the flame:

Clipboard01.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to do some candle stuff decades ago. Wick size and type needs to be adjusted for wax type and candle width. That effects how well it burns. Wicks were often soaked in borax water then dried before use. It makes them burn with less smoke.

Paraffin is the worst for smoke and indoor pollution. It's a petroleum product. Most of the plant waxes are very clean. Beeswax is good.

I haven't actually used animal fats, but I have made button lamps and oil lamps with olive oil and a cottonball twisted into a wick. Short wicks for that or it smokes.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I only have beeswax, bayberry, and soy candles here. The first two have their own nice scent. Real bayberry is hard to get and expensive. Pale green.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been experimenting. I took a "Taper Candle" (box from IKEA) and broke it in half, put the halves in a jar and poured in the melted candles.

Seems to be working well.

... the other experiments... not so much.

can1.jpg

can2.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been experimenting. I took a "Taper Candle" (box from IKEA) and broke it in half, put the halves in a jar and poured in the melted candles.

Seems to be working well.

... the other experiments... not so much.

View attachment 12913

View attachment 12914

most of those look like those little tea light candle wicks which may not really be able to do much at all.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
most of those look like those little tea light candle wicks which may not really be able to do much at all.
Yeah, you are correct. I'm going to try re-melting the others and putting 3 of the taper candles in the new one... that should solve the problem :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, you are correct. I'm going to try re-melting the others and putting 3 of the taper candles in the new one... that should solve the problem :)

the one with two in it seems to be working ok. i'd be a bit worried with that much heat and wax and well, flames... if those break i hope you have them on a safe surface...