The Recycapple Candle

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you already have a computer UPS (a battery pack which allows you to run the computer for some period of time when the power fluctuates or goes down) you already have a battery that you can plug a LED light into which should last a good long time (the lamp i have here is all of 8watts so that's a very tiny amount of drain on a bigger battery pack) - it will light up the whole room easily enough.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I saw a neat idea a year or so ago. Lay in a few high powered solar landscape lights. Put them out to charge in the day, then bring them inside, stick the posts in a bucket of sand, or a jar, and you'll have light for the night. Next morning, rinse and repeat.

i'm not sure what those run, but for the money there might be better ways to get the same effect/result. they do have battery packs and small solar panel setups available and the price may be cheaper or better in terms of what you get for the price (in terms of power, reliability, quality, etc.). i do know that i've seen a lot of those solar patio gizmos fail after a fairly short life because they are so exposed to the elements and the cold (which play havoc on a lot of battery technologies). my own experience is that they're cheaply built and have a lot of plastic which can break easily. we have one up in the lighthouse and i'm not even going to bother replacing it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used solar powered landscape lights during a hurricane and the 2 powerless weeks after. They were new and had never been exposed to the elements. I would put them in a sunny window during the day and they gave light until I'd go to bed. That was Hurricane Ike - quite a few years ago in 2008. Maybe they were made better back then. Oh....and I got them on sale - only paid a buck apiece!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used solar powered landscape lights during a hurricane and the 2 powerless weeks after. They were new and had never been exposed to the elements. I would put them in a sunny window during the day and they gave light until I'd go to bed. That was Hurricane Ike - quite a few years ago in 2008. Maybe they were made better back then. Oh....and I got them on sale - only paid a buck apiece!

lucky for you! i've seen 'em run a lot more than that for sure!

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nicely done. My asthma doesn't tolerate candles. I miss having them around. When power goes out, we do use them occasionally. I've heard that the soy based candles burn very well and are not as problematic for respiratory issues.
That's a great idea. I can't stand the smell of candles too. It reminds me of something morbid. making it smell different will be great for a change. I'm thinking of Peppermint, Bergamot, and Strawberries.