The Self-Sufficient Skills thread (new name, old thread!)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The only thing I am learning new right now is about being a 4h leader for the local poultry club since we have none here for our town. Oh and how to care for rhubarb plants(6) & plant trees(did 3 of them myself). Still learning more things is my goal for this yr.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
The only thing I am learning new right now is about being a 4h leader for the local poultry club since we have none here for our town. Oh and how to care for rhubarb plants(6) & plant trees(did 3 of them myself). Still learning more things is my goal for this yr.
"ONLY???" Pretty significant, in my book. New skills tend to build on each other, and before you know it, you are an expert!

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made my first attempt at milking a goat. Didn't get much but I guess it gets easier as you do it more often. :rolleyes:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
I made my first attempt at milking a goat. Didn't get much but I guess it gets easier as you do it more often. :rolleyes:
:gig Sorry, want some group therapy? Or a hug? :hugs If your experience ends up like mine, you will need it!

It gets better, I assure you. My poor Mya grunted and moved away from me and kicked and tryed to hop over me (in the milking stand!) until I got it right. I actually cried tears of frustration at times, it was so bad, I started to dread it. Now, less than two months later, it is our quiet little bonding time, and it takes me less than ten minutes, from getting her in the stand (she hops right up now, no more pretending she doesn't know where to put her head!) to dipping her teats and releasing her from the stand with a pat and a thank you.

It'll get easier! ;)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Homesteadmom said:
"ONLY???" Pretty significant, in my book. New skills tend to build on each other, and before you know it, you are an expert!
True I didn't think of it like that. I just meant right now it is the one thing I am learning about. Is that a better way of putting it?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think this is a awesome thread so I'm reviving it. I'm new, I get to do that right? :D

Stuff I've learned recently
Rasing chickens for eggs, later meat for the first time
How to treat chicken wounds
How to train a cat to not attack chickens (okay, so how about I lump all that together under raising chicks!)

Stuff I already know how to do well
Dress wildlife of all kinds
Clean & gut fish
Make a trap out of my surrounds for above wildlife
Some wild plant id
Can jams & jellies, sauces
Purify water
Make a solar distiller out of my poncho and a hole :)
Build a shed/lean to
Basic electric wiring
Basic gardening (companion planting & organic)
Compost
Treat common ailments naturally

Stuff I want to learn or just the know the bare basics
Make rope & weave baskets
Make soap the old fashioned way
Nightime star navigation (compassless)
Can & dry meat & veggies
Make butter, cheese & yogurt
Build Bicyle water pump (human power)
Build a root cellar

Thats it for now. I'm sure I will think of more things as I learn more from all of you experienced folk :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Noobie! :woot :welcome

And, yes...you can! It is a great thread and we always kick those back to life periodically when they become relevant to whatever we are doing at the time.

It sounds like you are already quite accomplished with survival type skills and SS things will come as natural as a duck to water!

Good to have you and can't wait to hear any new ideas you can throw at us, as we are always hungry for new ways to do things and new things to learn. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Made my first batch of goat's milk soap. It looks like white fudge. When I popped it out of the plastic tote I used as a mold, embedded in the bottom was a ton of cat hair from my Maine Coon!!!! Those hairs float in the air and he is shedding, how so many got into my soap and settled to the bottom is beyond me.

I just call it "fiber art!" :D
Since my second batch of soap didn't have any car hair in it, the furball must've curled up in the mold box when I wasn't looking....

Thanks for reviving this thread. I realized I had aquired a few more skills since last posting:

1. I learned to milk!!
2. Made yogurt
3. Made ricotta cheese
4. Made mozzarella cheese
5. Made "Fabulous All Natural Face Cream"
6. Made laundry soap
7. Made goat's milk soap
8. Made the best ever deodorant
9. Dried nettles and raspberry shoots for tea
10. Made cheddar, cheddar, and more cheddar and waxed it, and built a mouse-proof crate to age it in, in the cellar
11. Made hydrosol (distilled flower water....lilacs don't work, but I know how to do it now, the process worked great)
12. Made a cheese press