The Vitamin D thing

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just an anecdotal observation: I've been taking an extra vitamin D tablet for a few months now. I also take an anti-depressant. Last week I was having some stomach trouble (stress ulcers) so I cut out all the multi-vitamin and the vitamin D, just didn't think I could keep them down but I noticed right away that I was starting some of the old depression symptoms like not sleeping, scattered thoughts, etc.... Started taking the vitamin D again and just had a complete turnaround in just a day. Hmmmmm......

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We all went on D last winter. It was the healthiest winter we ever had. My son tends to get colds but had 1 or possibly none (what would help my memory?!?) This year, on D again but he has had monthly colds so far. Still, considering all the crap that's floating around and the minimal sleep DH and I have been getting, I'm thrilled with our perfect health so far.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I know I am not getting enough D. There was a news piece (which I usually don't give much attention to, at least when it comes to health :rolleyes: ) but the Dr was saying one if the most important things you can do is to take a D supplement

My nutritional data shows I am low on a few other things as well. Guess it's time to supplement.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The average female uses 4000 IU/day. The average male uses 6000 IU. If you are overweight, have a chronic medical condition, or are over 40, you can use even more. If you are taking a multi-vitamin, it only has 400 IU. If you want to supplement, keep that in mind because the D in your multi-vitamin isn't doing squat. I use Carlson's liquid D3 drops and take 6000 IU/day (3 drops). In the summer if I am getting daily sun exposure, I do not supplement.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
For me, I take 4000 IU of vitamin D as it helps so much with joint pain. The pain gets so bad without it that I can't even kneel on a cushion. But with it, I do pretty darn well. I take it even though I spend at least a couple of hours outside each day. Of course, outside donesn't neccessarily mean sun here. :D
I don't know why it affects me so much more than others but I have spoken to a number of people and most have said they can't really tell the difference.

Wifezilla- where did you find that info on vitamin D? I would be interested in reading about it.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And that's another thing! I was taking Glucosamine religiously for my joints and quit taking it when I ran out-just didn't want to spend the money. Can't say I've had any really achy joints in awhile. Thinking I may become a believer.
Still not giving up my cheese to eat like a caveman though.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
And that's another thing! I was taking Glucosamine religiously for my joints and quit taking it when I ran out-just didn't want to spend the money. Can't say I've had any really achy joints in awhile. Thinking I may become a believer.
Still not giving up my cheese to eat like a caveman though.
What dosage of Vit D have you been taking?

My vet had me give my previous golden retriever Glucosamine for her hip to get her off Rimadyl. It was not as effective as Rimadyl(which I believed caused her premature death). My new g.r. dog will be going on Glucosamine supps soon and I found your Vit D notation insightful. Thanks, I'll be looking into that further for her and myself!

Not giving up cheese either!

Reaction score
[Still, considering all the crap that's floating around and the minimal sleep DH and I have been getting, I'm thrilled with our perfect health so far.]

Now you did it. Jinxed.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
[Still, considering all the crap that's floating around and the minimal sleep DH and I have been getting, I'm thrilled with our perfect health so far.]

Now you did it. Jinxed.
:yuckyuck

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:

Now you did it. Jinxed.
:th I can't believe I did that!!! Seriously, BD, every time I talk about how healthy my family has been, someone gets sick. I'm not kidding. But to go and post it online? What was i thinking?!?