The Vitamin D thing

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
regarding depression and vitamin D.... you know how people sit under lights during the winter for depression?

Well, they do... seasonal affective disorder... they are SAD without the sun

It stimulates the making of vitamin D. You if mood gets better with vitamin D supplementation its no wonder.... people have been doing this for a long time, but probably didn't connect the dots.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OK OK OK

dosage question

I hear tons of numbers flying around about how much is truly needed.

my bottle says:

Vitamin D
400 IU

the directions say 1 per day

I take 2

Are you saying I should be taking like 10 of these per day to hit 4000 IU?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:
regarding depression and vitamin D.... you know how people sit under lights during the winter for depression?

Well, they do... seasonal affective disorder... they are SAD without the sun

It stimulates the making of vitamin D. You if mood gets better with vitamin D supplementation its no wonder.... people have been doing this for a long time, but probably didn't connect the dots.
That was my thought too. Like people who suffer from seasonal affective disorder-it's caused when the days get shorter-less light thus less vitamin D. Sometimes those dots are elusive little buggers.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Are you saying I should be taking like 10 of these per day to hit 4000 IU?
No, you should be buying a quality D3 supplement so you don't have to take a boat load of pills :D

I use Carlson's brand liquid D3 drops. Each drop is 2000 IU. I take 3 drops/day when I can't get sun exposure.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
does the pills come in high IU or does it have to be liquid I am searching for?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There are high dosage pills, but the liquid is actually cheaper per dose. D is also a fat soluble vitamin and the liquid uses coconut oil as a carrier. This ensures the vitamin will be absorbed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks for the info!
now I know what to shoot for when I shop next time.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you belong to Costco, they have a Kirkland brand D3 that's 2000 units, comes in a bottle of 600 pills, not too expensive. I also take their multivitamin, which has 1000 IU vitamin D so I get 3000 to 5000 IU per day, depending on how many I take of the vitamin D

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is the brand I use., I tried fish oil D3 products but it didn't raise my blood level enough. This product proved itself to me through the blood tests I've done, total 4 of them now.

So yes take them by the fistful till they are gone then search for a higher dosage product. I keep 5,000 IU and 50,000 IU on hand if sickness strikes.

http://store.hmglobalmall.com/bid3ch250caf.html

this site carries a variety of potency. Look around.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
So what constitutes enough sun exposure? 1hour? 2? 30 mins?

I remember when I had my first child, reading a book that said to place your baby in a window with the sun shining on them for 15 mins per day.
I knew it was a Vit D thing but now this conversation reminds me of that little paragraph.....I can just see us all sitting in sunny windows for our daily does of D. :lol:

Latest posts