The Vitamin D thing

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I better not overdose...LOL

being in NC I have sunshine constantly...(well not the last month, the weather has been awful) and I am constantly in and out all the time and in summer I love to sunbath.

I better be careful :p

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
There are high dosage pills, but the liquid is actually cheaper per dose. D is also a fat soluble vitamin and the liquid uses coconut oil as a carrier. This ensures the vitamin will be absorbed.
Thanks for info. This point had been pestering me, too. I knew Vit D was a fat soluble vitamin and couldn't figure how I would absorb it from a dry pill. Wasn't certain if consuming it with a fat would help all that much with a dry pressed pill. Now I wonder if all the Vit D I have been consuming wasn't being fully metabolized.
Dh's script is for gels, which make more sense.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Mackay said:
This is the brand I use., I tried fish oil D3 products but it didn't raise my blood level enough. This product proved itself to me through the blood tests I've done, total 4 of them now.

So yes take them by the fistful till they are gone then search for a higher dosage product. I keep 5,000 IU and 50,000 IU on hand if sickness strikes.

http://store.hmglobalmall.com/bid3ch250caf.html

this site carries a variety of potency. Look around.
Thanks for the link!
I think I'll grind up a couple of my 2,000 IU pills, and add to my smoothie until I get the better stuff.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We started this discussion on the forum at:

http://sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3792

In any case, here's where I am at the present. I use the Carlson's D Drops, and I go by what ever amount keeps my energy up. At the present I take 20,000 IU in the morning and another 10,000 IU around 1 or 2 o'clock.

Does anyone know anything about NSI vitamin D drops? They can be found at:

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Vitamin-D-Drops/cas-1#IngredientFacts

These NSI drops come at a good price, but I don't know if they are a good source.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you are up to 30,000 IU per day?

can't that actually harm you at some point

we all know that overdose on any vitamin or mineral can happen.

Hmm....I hear this 4-6K per day and you are at 30K??????????

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dace said:
So what constitutes enough sun exposure? 1hour? 2? 30 mins?

I remember when I had my first child, reading a book that said to place your baby in a window with the sun shining on them for 15 mins per day.
I knew it was a Vit D thing but now this conversation reminds me of that little paragraph.....I can just see us all sitting in sunny windows for our daily does of D. :lol:
:yuckyuck What a mental image :lol:

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
you are up to 30,000 IU per day?

can't that actually harm you at some point

we all know that overdose on any vitamin or mineral can happen.

Hmm....I hear this 4-6K per day and you are at 30K??????????
I just go by my energy level. The 30,000 works great. I have read that if you take too much, it becomes toxic. Hasn't happened so far.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Anything over 10000 UI is supposed to be closely monitored by a physician, and blood tests taken, from what I have read. I take 1000 UI and it makes a huge difference in my moods, aches and pains and general winter blahs. I would be really careful taking more than 2000 UI. My father went toxic on 2000. So it is very individual I guess. Too much of a good thing is never the answer.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow morel that is interesting

the dosage per individuals is radical from one to another...huh

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
FC...that would probably be because two people are consuming different quantities i their daily diet.....I would think anyways!