The wealth gap & other ills.... Warning: long and could make you sick

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
hikerchick said:
Maybe, but no point in getting all worked up about the fact that someone else has something that you don't and you don't think it's "fair". I am just surprised how many people really expect life to be fair. It reminds me of little kids who get angry when sister gets a bigger piece of cake.
I don't hear anyone saying life should be dead equal. After all, that would be communism. I think people just find it galling to hear about someone complaining that his BONUS is being reduced to ONLY $98,000, at a family dinner table where at least 3 people are facing financial devastation. I think most of us would agree that's in poor taste.

Reaction score
Have you seen that new movie advertised. The Box. It looks like some lady will get a million dollars if she opens this box. The caveat is some people are going to suffer if she does. So of course she wants her million dollars and opens the box. I haven't seen the movie but it looks like some of those people are people she knows.

I thought it was an interesting parallel. Kind of applies except for the last part isn't people they know. It's the whole country.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Not getting into rich vs poor in this thread, but responding about what the man said. It is his life. His thoughts, his feelings. Everyone "poor" can complain, why can't he? His life is based on his income and if his money was severely decreased it could throw him into severe debt. You just don't know his financial situation.

While it sounds like bad manners talking big money in front of others,
i'm with FC on this one. bad taste? yes. insensitive? yes.

but isnt all pain about the same to whoever is feeling it?

what if that meant the diff between making their mortgage or not? rich or poor, everyone is having a hard time and someone "rich" can get kicked out on their butt just the same as regular people.

and i guess the other thing is - where it is written that having big money will make you happier? my quality of life is much much better now than when i was making the big bucks. i tell all my wealthy friends that i feel sorry for people who dont have my life. they think i'm crazy. i think their $5000/month mortgage is crazy.

whatever. head down, focus on my path, count all blessings.....

me&thegals

Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
but isnt all pain about the same to whoever is feeling it?
Very true. I'm having job changes right now that are devastating to me, but I will still end up with a job better than many people have. Still, to ME it is a huge change and very upsetting.

However, as already mentioned, I would never complain about these changes to someone who already has a terrible job with little freedom. And I'm keeping in perspective how lucky I still am.

So, basically, this seems to come down to bad manners. You simply don't gripe about a bonus being reduced to $98,000 in front of people who don't have jobs or health insurance.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
You simply don't gripe about a bonus being reduced to $98,000 in front of people who don't have jobs or health insurance
totally agree. bad taste and insensitive. (like i said!)

i think a lot of people are in turmoil right now. we all need to give each other a break. i'm not defending what that person said at all - but we can all try and be understanding. more than likely they were really surprised. i'd like to think that upon reflection they will feel bad for that. but i'm a sucker for giving folks the benefit of the doubt.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think it was bad manners for him to discuss his problems. He is feeling the economy like everyone else and he has a right to say his peace.

only part the man should never have said was the dollar amt.

Just--"yea my bonus got whacked severely and it hurts alot!"

Rich or poor, talking actual dollar amts in mixed company at a party or dinner type situation is bad manners.

That just reflects on the person making the comment...it could be anyone doing that. Sure not just a person with more money in the bank.

Sometimes personal business should be just that "personal" and keep your mouth shut when it comes to actual dollar figures! We all need to kinda know that..LOL

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess I keep thinking, it's all relative.

Me getting a 10% income cut would be like not being able to pay a light bill and needing to make payment arrangements, him having a 10% cut could mean not making a mortgage payment and going into foreclosure.

does that make sense at all?

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe the guy thought he was safe talking about his issues among family members. It's not like he was a total stranger - he was a relative. Why should you have to censor yourself in front of family?

I am very overweight. But when I hear a thin woman complaining about how she has gained .03 pounds and it is causing her stress, I don't compare her situation to mine. Her pain is just as real as mine.

Pain is relative.

me&thegals

Reaction score
I guess it's just a difference of opinion, then. I wouldn't complain about my 10 lb I would like to lose when speaking with a friend who wants to lose 80. It would seem insensitive.

I also won't be talking about my job shakeup (as I still have a job) to any family member who has lost their job.

Also wouldn't whine about inferior medical insurance to someone who has none.

But, I guess everyone has different family dynamics and expectations. In my family, it would be considered quite rude and insensitive to do what the OP's relative did. Just saying.

SerenityPrayer

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Maybe you could get his email address and invite him to the sufficient self forum to help him find ways to live more frugally on his salary and bonus. ;)