The wealth gap & other ills.... Warning: long and could make you sick

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Enjoy the ride you said it well.

Henry Ford got in trouble with the other business owners because they felt he paid his workers too much. But, he said he had two rules: His employees should make enough to be able to buy his products AND the CEO of any company is never worth more than ten time the amount that the lowest paid person is earning. If he wanted to give himself a raise then everybody got a raise.

Too, too many are raiding their firms like piggy banks, not caring about sustainability even for their own firms.

The very fact that there is a recovery when their are still no jobs is a prime example......

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
They don't make them like Henry Ford anymore, unfortunately.

As for a 'jobless recovery' I don't believe for one minute there is a recovery at all. Just because the big money-handlers are 'making money' again doesn't mean there's any more behind it than there was when the last house of cards was built. Ballyhooing there's a recovery from every mountaintop isn't going to make it real.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup there is no true recovery right now...in fact "they" need to let "us" hear that but in reality the true ripple effect hasn't hit the economy yet.
just wait...it will get worse and stock will crash again and more jobs will be lost again.

many many many many years are needed for this recovery. it sure won't be fixed overnight, it can't be. so if lucky our little kids might see some better times about 30-40 years from now. Hopefully.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
What bothers me is what I mentioned before, a lack of solid financial underpinnings. They seem to be trying to keep going as they were, instead of realizing it's that that got them (I won't say us, because I don't live like that) into trouble in the first place. We need ethics in business accounting, real jobs for Americans, we need to pull back a bit from the 'global economy' and fix what's wrong here before we can re-enter the global stage. That's the only way to get the American economy going again. As has been demonstrated over the past several months, if the American economy is robust and healthy, so is the rest of the world's. China isn't going to replace us, it's going to overwhelm us, if we keep on the same course. The few at the top that make money will become fewer and fewer.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Americans live on credit cards and big credit for everything.

If you only spent you money in your pocket it would be a whole 'nother story if bad times rolled around ya know.

goes for business and individual people as well.

China will be the next America. Their debt will mount and their credit will be stretched and when their hard times comes, they will be the same as our economy.

It isn't anything new or different or alien or never seen before, it is what has happened thru the centuries to many countries.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
As for a 'jobless recovery' I don't believe for one minute there is a recovery at all.
Exactly. And even if we are completely wrong, eliminating debt, becoming more self sufficient, stocking up an emergency stash....NONE of this will harm my family in any way. In fact, it will make us all better off regardless of what happens in the future.

Reaction score
Nobody that I know of has said anything about a jobless recovery. As a matter of fact they don't expect the jobless figures to go back to normal till mid to end of 2010. Employers will not start hiring people back until they think the economy is safe. Right now the economy got a kick start from the stimulus package. Unfortunately the engine is still trying to start. Meanwhile they need to clamp down on Wall Street and the banks and stop them from gambling with the tax payers money so they can have their bonuses. Gm is doing better because of the money they got and they are on track to pay it back early. These yahoos in the financial industry are just taking as much as they can and not giving back anything. We gave the banks a bailout to stimulate lending so small businesses can stay in business. They are using the money to invest in stocks at a higher rate of return than the gov is charging them and then giving themselves bonuses. They should all be shot for treason.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree BD!

but to me in the end, no matter what the big boys do...it still comes down to each and every individual citizen living within their means. credit is death and it sure killed many a folk when hard times hit.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Problem Farmerchick is that small businesses do need credit and those big banks that got all the money so they would start lending again did not.

BD they supposedly paid back the tarp funds, but look at it this way: Some of them borrowed money from the Fed at 0% interest and then lent it back to Treasury (No I am NOT making this up) at 1.5% interest. Whose money is that again? Oh yeah Once upon a time it was mine. They make money on getting the entire country into debt.

I agree with the treason part. I think Milton Friedman all by himself probably killed more people than Hitler ever even imagined.