The working dog...post a pic and tell us about them!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that all of our dogs here are working dogs.

Earnhardt, our blue heeler, will be 8 years old next month. DH brought him home from a cattle auction as a 6 week old pup. Some guy had them and was selling them at the auction, and somehow DH managed to talk the guy out of Earnhardt for free!! I would love to let him have free run of our property, but there are 2 problems with that. 1. Leash law in our county stating all dogs must be chained or confined...:rolleyes: and 2. He's gonna bite anyone who trespasses if he gets the slightest inkling that they are going to put harm to us. He's bit 4 people to date to prove that. Thank god he's got all his shots, right?! (still, 3 of those bites they went into HIS chain area, so that's their fault, and the 1st person he bit was coming uninvited into the house, so again, their fault!)
328_hpim0146.jpg

Autumn is my aggressive protector. She is a HUGE.......

.......ankle biter.....:gig She's all of 5 pounds and all high pitched bark and OMG if I had known that's how these pint sized dogs are...well she's cute, and easy on the lap, but pretty much not good for anything except barking high pitched at everyone who comes to the door. :rolleyes: She thinks she owns and runs the house, so it's really frustating...pint sized dog with HUGE attitude.
328_autumn.jpg

Then we have Maggie. Not sure I have a picture of her, but she's supposed to be a heeler, but we suspect she's a mix. We were at a flea market last spring and some guy was selling them for $50 each. Said they they were pure austrailan shepherds, but who knows? We suspect she has lab in her. He kept trying to talk DH and I into buying one (and I really really wanted one!) and my husband looked him dead in the eye and said, "Best dog we own was free." At the end of the day when all of us vendors were packing up and leaving the guy comes over and says, "We have two left, come choose the one you want." I chose Maggie. Don't think I have a picture of her, but I will get one.
Anyway, Maggie is about 9 months old. She loves playing with, toys, too and is very protective of her part of the yard. I wanted her to be my house dog. I told DH I wanted a large dog to be in the house as family protector. But then I was put on bed rest with my pregnancy and DH moved her outside because it was easier for him I think. Whatever. You watch, I'll have her in and out!

And then of course, there is the new pup, my daughters Christmas gift that she named Jewells. DH is allowing this one to be in the house! She is a wonderful puppy!

When we went to get DD's pup, they had 2 girls left. They had them in a kennel right by their back door. It was REALLY clean for a dog kennel, too! there were about 5-6 pups in there but all but 2 were spoken for....so they let the two girls out to meet DD, and Jewells picked DD!

The other pup didn't want anything to do with DD but Jewells came up and just washed DD's face all over the place! DD was thrilled. Then Jewells walked over and made friends with Dh and kissed his face, too.
She's definitely all puppy, and really playful. She's not hyper really, just seems to be making sure she gets attention from every family member. She just chose our family, I think, not just DD. She's gonna be a HORSE when she's grown! Her hair is short, but soft. And she has the body of the retriever but color like the lab. Definitely a retriever head! She'll be 10 weeks on Christmas!

328_100_3357.jpg

And to answer the vet costs, I have a reasonably priced vet and a routine visit with shots usually runs between $35-$60. But, we want to cut costs down and so we are now buying all shots from the farm supply store. It seems to be smarter to do that, since the shots are like $5 at TSC compared to $15 at the vet!!