The working dog...post a pic and tell us about them!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Anybody have good dogs that serve a dual purpose? Family friend and working farm hand?
I love to hear about good cattle or sheep dogs and how intelligent they are. The brave, the vigilant and the simply goofy big lap dogs...give us good hints for training, health care and living. Someone mentioned having more posts about their dogs and other pets...so, here goes! Post on....

Now, please don't get all animal welfare stuff on us and get the post shut down, okay? Just the good stuff that can help others keep their working buddies and couch covers happy and fulfilled. Post a pic or two of your friends in action or just posing for the cameras!

This is Lucy Lou (GP/Lab mix) and Chocolate Jake (Lab/Border Collie mix). Two excellent LGD who more frequently pose as destructive, lovable, lap dogs to the family. They live outside and come in to visit sometimes. Both of them were rescued from bad situations and I thank God for them. They do a good job and I can rest easy at night because they are on watch. Smart and sweet, both of them!

6459_mixed_house_photos_040.jpg
[/img]

6459_mixed_house_photos_033.jpg
[/img]

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Aw, what sweet pups!! Good dogs!! :D

Here's my 3. I wouldn't say that they are working dogs, but they do have a purpose above and beyond being family pets. They are very vigilant watchdogs, and I really appreciate them for that. It does make me sleep better at night knowing that these guys are in the house. They are very effective deterents to strangers, and while they live in the house with us (where I want them, for more than one reason--they aren't your typical LGD that are happier outside, I do consider them family protection so I want them in the house, and they are first and foremost pets--so in the house they stay) they do "patrol" outside when we are at home.

All 3 of these pups are rescues. The first two are pit bulls and the third, Holly, is some sort of mix--possibly pit bull mix, possibly American bulldog mix (who knows!). They all have a story, but I won't go into that here! They are overly friendly, extremely high-energy, and just plain obnoxious. ;) I love them dearly! They are really, really good dogs. They happily patrol our farm, always on the lookout for something that they think shouldn't be here (though I can't quite explain to them that the deer are OK as long as they're not in the garden...hehe). They are wonderful with the chickens. And of course, they are really just family pets--that's what they're best at--lounging around!

Myles:
6_myleshere.jpg

Wednesday:
6_wensieclose.jpg

Holly:
6_hollysearch.jpg

All 3, enjoying a nap in the kitchen:
6_dogsgroupshot.jpg

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I looked and can't find any good pics of my three girls. Guess what I need to add to the list of things to do this afternoon! WE have three labs one year apart in age. The oldest is a yellow her name is Minnie, then there is the chocolate her name is Katie, and last but not least is the moose a black lab named Bella. I will post pics later!!

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bosch isn't very productive, but he is sweet and loves his family. He waits for DD to come home from school.
92_100_1278.jpg
[/img]

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love my 2 dogs but they are useless. You would think they would be productive...Nope

Jimmy--collie that looks like Lassie---he is 10 and dying of cancer tumor now.

Mica--small Australian Red Heeler...about 15 years old and bites people.

Jimmy won't listen at all, he is just plain dumb, good boy, but brain dead...and Mica, Tony's dog, is mean and untrustworthy.

No time to work with these dogs. So I blame it all on me, their lack of good use.

When they die, no more dogs for a bit. Too much work and no time to devote.

Maybe later.

THE PICS of the pets are wonderful!!!!

My previous collie, Reggie, was the smartest, nicest, best overall perfect pet dog anyone could ever ask for in this lifetime. GO REGGIE!!!

:)

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a couple pics of my new puppies listed on my "myspace" page. Just click on "pics" under my profile pic (a chicken) and then click on the folder for "pets" (I think)

www.myspace.com/heathersfunnyfarm