The_whingnut's road to ........................

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just read through your journal. You packed a lot into the pages. Happy for you for retirement and moving to TN. 40 acres! That is awesome! What kind of house will y'all build?
We are doing an rv site for now. Bubbles and i have been talking about a grain silo house or quonset hut, plus a dozen other ideas.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well we have a borrowed backhoe and have started more clearing. I have septic permit, power permit and on the list for a well to be drilled. But my retirement pension is not cuttingbit and i picked up a job at a local factory as a welder. Hopefully we can keep the momentum going. But going back to work is creating a lot of stress and im not sure if we will be on our property by Christmas like we planned.

Attachments

• 20221013_175102.jpg
    20221013_175102.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20221013_175105.jpg
    20221013_175105.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 97

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Even if it takes longer, you’ll get it done. A metal house would be good. No painting, less upkeep and outside walls are the load bearing walls. You can configure the inside any way you want to.

A Quonset hut building would be awfully hard to put a ceiling in, unless I’m missing something.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Even if it takes longer, you’ll get it done. A metal house would be good. No painting, less upkeep and outside walls are the load bearing walls. You can configure the inside any way you want to.

A Quonset hut building would be awfully hard to put a ceiling in, unless I’m missing something.
That was our thoughts too. We had looked into doing an open floor plan on the quonset hut with a loft

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like a Quonset hut for a shop, but I’d want the ceiling to be a ceiling. I know you can spray in the insulation but I just can’t picture a ceiling.

Inflation and the economy is kicking butt. Don’t let it get you down. I just bought 25 acres fenced for cattle. I have sheep. I have one field for them. Sheep and goat wire was $250 in February of this year. I paid $350 each for 10 rolls in June. Same wire is now $420. 10 rolls will get me started, but I’m gonna need more.

You just do the best you can. Maybe a gable roof metal building that y’all can add onto later.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Some parts of Tn can get pretty chilly in the winter. You may want to rethink a quonset hut type "house"...
If you ever go on the sister site... Back Yard Herds (BYH) there is a member @MikeCHS. He and his wife have real nice Katahdin sheep. I am not sure of the exact area of Tenn they are in, but he could maybe give you some ideas... I think he is also a veteran... and also @rachelshaven is a member and they moved back there and her folks are from Tn also... You might like to become a member there and get to know some others... @baymule and I and several others are on both sites...

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Look at the job this way... anything you can get done now, with the extra income from the job... gets you further ahead, FASTER, and if the job situation gets worse and you don't have one in the future, you might be grateful to be that much further ahead. I honestly believe that we are going to be in some hard times for a few years... even if the elections swing things, we are not going to get out of this mess in twice the time it took them to get us into it.
Get all you can get out of it for the next 4-12 months... and get things done as you can... even if it means doing the rv for a year. I promise you, you will be glad to have the work money... and be happier if things are financially easier in a year or 2, because of the sacrifice you are making now.