Then and now...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha! Do you think part is it is your relocation?

Well, I guess my choice to stay home with my kiddo and make her go play outside and take care of animals keeps us from being too exposed to some of the differences between then and now.i think it's a good thing!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Meals as a family have pretty much gone away for many. Shame. Truly it is just one of the things, IMO, that has created many health issues and emotional ones. There was a regimentation to being there, having manners, eating & helping cleanup after. You learned from the experience & the table talk.

My mom was so excited to get her first washing machine -- with a huge hand wringer unit on it because there wasn't spin dry. Through wringer & out onto clothesline. It was a whole lot better than the tub & washboard, hand wring, then hang. :rolleyes:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you notice that, regardless of the work & hardship, we are all in some way returning to our "roots"? My best memories are of the farming ways, self-sufficient processes. Dolls were not my request for gifts but, a farm set was....I bought a REAL one as soon as I could buy & find one. It is work. It can be so very rewarding. While there are times I feel I have taken one more than I need, just don't want to be without my farm. I cut back but never "stop".

At my house a lot of stuff "still works". :idunno:old

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How about "way back when" pics.

Here is a grammar school pic of me.
Jimmy - Grammar School.jpg

And, this is my HS graduation pic.
jim_in_hs.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Yay, I figured out how to take a pic and Bluetooth it to my laptop with my new phone LOL Back to the present and wonderful technology?!?

These are my parents, circa 1979/1980 at my first childhood home. We moved from there when I was 3 years old, but I still have some vivid memories of the place

IMG_20170211_092100.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When Volkswagons first came to the USA, my parents bought 2 of them, a bug for Mom and a bus for Daddy. I was the youngest, so got put in the storage space behind the back seat, under the rear windshield of the bug. My brother and sister got the back seat. In the bus, my sister got an entire bench seat, as did my brother--I got the space in the back over the engine.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There were no seat belts and no car seats for babies. I remember standing up in the front seat as a toddler, so I could see over the dashboard. If mom slammed on the brakes, she stuck her arm out to keep me from flying through the windshield. :idunno Now we put kids in the back seat, in the middle, strapped into a crash tested gi-normous car seat and clap a helmet on their little heads. ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, Bay....my DS is now 50 and disposable diapers were brand new then, they gave you a 6 pak pkg at hospital. The first car seat I remember was basically a square of a thin hardboard covered in heavy cloth upon which they sat. Had sides about 8-10" high all around, same cloth, with 2 holes cut in front for legs. (Think shopping cart). This thing had a set of metal strips up the back on each side that went up & over the back of the seat. I've actually seen small animal seats similar sold in recent past. Yep, lifted the kid about10" up off the seat & suspended them there. Guess DS was about 10 mos when that little jewel was added to the car. Otherwise the young'un had to stand in the back seat or floor, to keep from climbing in your lap as you drove.

Safety first? :lol: :gig Somehow both mine survived.

cyrhere

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is such a fun thread! I had to go bother my cousin to dig up this photo of ours:

teenage mutant.jpg

My 5 year old son watches Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles today on TV but they all look all weirdly muscular to me. I'd still prefer the old ones.

Then...
then.JPG
and Now..
now.JPG