Then and now...

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Everyone was conditioned to throw their arms in front of the youngun's in a hard stop.

We got a pair of shoes in the fall for school and that was it. Most of the time our toes were poking out by winter.

Only one girl in school wore a pair of overalls to school. Every other girl wore dresses. I had two, both made from feedsacks as were all our dishtowels.

Grandmother quilted all the scraps of our old clothes which kept us warm during the long winter nights.

We ate from the garden, woods, or creeks from gardening fishing, or hunting, foraging.

Children played outside and didn't sit inside playing video games or watching TV and of course there was no texting.

We ate because we were hungry and the choice was eat or don't eat. No one got special meals because they didn't like the meal.

Desserts was for holidays. A birthday cake was the only other dessert time.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
LOL @sumi Well let's see.... computers, DVD's, cell phones, the internet, instant messaging, phones that went to the size of a credit card, and then back up to the size of a brick. And now they do EVERYTHING you could ever imagine. Order food, book a flight, call a cab electronically, view who is at your front door, turn on your lights and adjust your thermostat, tell you the time and weather around the world, view live feed of just about anything you want to watch....
Everything has changed in my lifetime! LOL

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Toothpaste came in lead tubes. If you pressed them in the middle, the crease cracked open and toothpaste gooshed out the crack. Some toothpaste came with a key to roll up the end of the tube. Lead causes brain damage.….that's probably what's wrong with me.....

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
This.......
FB_IMG_1541279627821.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Aww, look at you! :)

The memories are flooding back now… Rotary phones!! We had one and finally swapping it for one with buttons…

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On a related note, have any of you seen the movie "Now and Then"? I must've watched it 50 times back in the years following its release, I loved it.

Looks like one of those girlie movies. :hide In any event, I don't think I could watch it; it has one of my all-time disliked people...Rosie O'Donnell.

@frustratedearthmother ... sounds like my childhood!

We had a couple of movie theatres in town. I remember going to watch the old, old batman series. I loved going to the movies by myself when I was a kid on a hot summer afternoon; made me feel grown up! Never bought movie theatre candy; it was too expensive; always smuggled in candy from my grandmother's store. I also saw, and fell in love with, The Greatest Show on Earth...the old movie about the circus. After, a movie, I would stop at Grant's Variety Store on the way home and get a hot dog or Woolworths to get some ice cream. That was livin'!

This picture predates me, but this is still how the local
Lowes Theatre looked when I was a kid.
USE_COVERORJUMPPAGE_Loews-1938.jpg

The RKO Theatre right across the street from Lowes
theatre2.jpg

Grant Variety Store
3971802493_37ab42ba56_z.jpg

Woolworths
a-001_281DDCF4.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Moonshadows just dislodged another memory…. drive-in movies! Gosh, those were great days. I remember my parents taking us when we were very small, to watch movies there.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Milk bottles at the gates with those funny little plastic prepaid coupon things… Or money. It was so tempting to pinch a few coins on our way to school in the mornings!

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Milk bottles at the gates with those funny little plastic prepaid coupon things… Or money. It was so tempting to pinch a few coins on our way to school in the mornings!
milk bottles! yeah. we had a neighbor who owned a dairy. we got some of the first deliveries. :ya