There’s a first time for everything.

Ayla_noemi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would keep them apart for about a week and assess their bonding. If they sleep together, lamb feeds without issue, you should be good. It will also give her milk time to get thru the lamb's system and then the smell of her poop will be that of the ewe's milk production., plus they will share their smell from coat oils, licking, etc. Then they can identify one another, plus take any reclaim chances from the actual mom as it will no longer smell as hers.

Lambs & goats do not nurse long at a time when this young but, more frequent. Later the length of time extends, frequency drops. They can get a lot in a few suckles.

Things seem to be going well!! They sure look like they belong to one another...all that lovely black hair! So glad for all of you there. Try watching and not typing legs, that will give you some idea of how they are doing.

Yeah I picked that lamb over her sister because her sister was white with brown spots. Not that it matters but they looked similar and it just seemed right to me. Lol. I will try without tying her legs tomorrow. Thank you all.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That lamb looks to be filled out all over...I don't see bony hips, spine or ribs going on, so I'm guessing he's doing fine with Onyx. Lambs don't normally nurse for long, just sips throughout the day and you'd think there's no way they could live on what they get each time, but they stay fat and roly poly on it, so it's all good. Could be his gut is extended because you are holding her longer than they normally can get mama to stand still for a feeding?

How about you NOT hold Onyx for a few feedings and see if the lamb stays plump?

Ayla_noemi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That lamb looks to be filled out all over...I don't see bony hips, spine or ribs going on, so I'm guessing he's doing fine with Onyx. Lambs don't normally nurse for long, just sips throughout the day and you'd think there's no way they could live on what they get each time, but they stay fat and roly poly on it, so it's all good. Could be his gut is extended because you are holding her longer than they normally can get mama to stand still for a feeding?

How about you NOT hold Onyx for a few feedings and see if the lamb stays plump?

Last night I decided not to and see how she does.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
A wonderful experiment! I think it will and can be repeated, depending on the nature of the individual ewe and even on the lamb. Katahdins are so docile and such good mothers that it could be they are just a good breed to use in grafting lambs, like Jersey cows are for grafting calves.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Even if she was only one eating mommas food and not nursing she still wouldn’t be that big right?

My first Katahdin lamb was a little fatty on nothing but mama's milk and grass, as I fed no grains. I was amazed at how quickly he fattened up, but I'm guessing their milk is very rich.

I think she's doing fine and that you've done well on this one.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Great shear job!!! You should continue to milk her and make some cheese, as well as freeze some in case you have a bum lamb. She's beautiful!

Just curious...why did you take her lamb from her so early? She may get mastitis if you don't continue to milk her and keep her stripped out...got any extra lambs you can graft onto her?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What an adventure! She looks positively gorgeous and I bet she feels better too. Your brother did an outstanding job! And that milk! You should keep her milked out for awhile. Sheep milk can be frozen. When you get enough, make cheese.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What is the best way to go about this? Would it be easier to do this with a newborn or a week old lamb? Would they need to be separated from the group until they strengthen their bond? How long should I observe them for before I can walk away for a while before returning and how often should I return to check on them?

I've never personally did it with sheep, only cattle,but was successful with putting bum calves from the stockyard onto my milk cow. Just took putting a scent into her nose and on them as well...some use Vicks, I used essential oils...can't remember the one I used at the time, could have been lemongrass. Needs to be a strong scent.

I used Vicks when we did this with meat rabbits.

She seems very docile if you are able to milk her so easily and she may welcome the relief of a swollen udder if you give her a lamb. I'd let her udder get a little distended again and then try it, masking the scent of the ringer lamb and just monitor how it goes. It would help if you isolate her from the others, especially the original mama, until the pairing has taken.

I'd check often enough that you feel secure about leaving them alone together. You've got nothing to lose by trying.

Or, you could just milk her like you planned to do your goats. She has GREAT teats for a sheep and a very roomy udder, being that docile she's an excellent candidate for a milking ewe. Some of the world's most expensive cheese is made from sheep's milk.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/04/essential-sheep-milk-cheese.html

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Great job on the sheering and the milk! :thumbsup Beekissed and the others have given you great advice here. I would continue milking her, unless you have a lamb she can adopt, but milking her would be great too.

I had sheep's milk cheese once, a few years ago. It was delicious!!