There’s a first time for everything.

Ayla_noemi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm betting Onyx will start to look less depressed once she's fully bonded with this lamb...sheep are kind of sensitive when flock members are taken away and I'm betting it's doubly so when their lambs are removed from them too soon. She looked a little hang dog on those pics when she was being sheared and her udder was too extended.

I'm very eager to see this turn out successfully. I'm so very glad you tried this out.

So this morning they seemed to be ok Onyx’s udder was looking good. I sat back and tried to watch but my presence was obviously irritating Onyx. She stomps when she does not approve. I sat for about 5-10 minutes and when the baby tried to nurse Onyx would move away.they were doing this circle dance where Onyx tried to smell the baby’s rump and the baby tried to reach the udder. After a while I held Onyx and the baby slowly approached and drained her udder. Onyx tried to run away almost the whole time. It didn’t look promising to me. I wanted to know what the group thought.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So this morning they seemed to be ok Onyx’s udder was looking good. I sat back and tried to watch but my presence was obviously irritating Onyx. She stomps when she does not approve. I sat for about 5-10 minutes and when the baby tried to nurse Onyx would move away.they were doing this circle dance where Onyx tried to smell the baby’s rump and the baby tried to reach the udder. After a while I held Onyx and the baby slowly approached and drained her udder. Onyx tried to run away almost the whole time. It didn’t look promising to me. I wanted to know what the group thought.

It does sound like she's not fully bonded with that lamb. Or it could be that she just didn't want to nurse while you were there. If she's not butting that lamb away and it looks like the udder is being nurse on, it could be the case.

Is the lamb gaining any weight? I'd leave them completely alone for a whole day and check back to see if her udder is hyper extended and the lambs belly is empty...I'd take that as a sure sign it's not going to happen.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a goat I didn't think was nursing her babies. Eventually I realized she would only let them nurse when we left! Silly goat. Hopefully you have the same thing happening!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
See if you can watch them unnoticed for awhile. She may be bothered by your presence. Some animals are funny like that.

Ayla_noemi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi,

Do I was under the impression that they had not bonded to the point where Onyx would let her feed on her own. I would feed Onyx every morning and evening and return at night to assist in letting baby feed because I have yet to see it in action no matter how stealthy I try to be. Onyx only needs to be held by the halter and she will let baby feed until baby starts head butting her udder then it becomes a rodeo. Now I haven’t been to impressed with the size of Onyx’s udder but I though that was because her milk was drying out. Yesterday I took this picture though. Baby has been looking progressively plumper in the mid section. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Are they actually stealth feeding and my assisted feedings are not necessary? Is the one a day feed doing baby harm? Is it lack of exercise that’s got baby plump? Could it be bloat?! Please tell me it’s not bloat! I have baking soda but have no experience with bloat. I don’t want to loose my baby over an experiment. I don’t think she can reach the lamb feed unless she’s standing for it which I have not seen. Could she be eating the hay I put in for bedding? I still have them in the pen because I was not convinced that they had bonded. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
0A4CB7EC-0FBD-4970-9D2D-0F7A3E6AA435.jpeg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That lamb looks to be filled out all over...I don't see bony hips, spine or ribs going on, so I'm guessing he's doing fine with Onyx. Lambs don't normally nurse for long, just sips throughout the day and you'd think there's no way they could live on what they get each time, but they stay fat and roly poly on it, so it's all good. Could be his gut is extended because you are holding her longer than they normally can get mama to stand still for a feeding?

How about you NOT hold Onyx for a few feedings and see if the lamb stays plump?

Ayla_noemi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That lamb looks to be filled out all over...I don't see bony hips, spine or ribs going on, so I'm guessing he's doing fine with Onyx. Lambs don't normally nurse for long, just sips throughout the day and you'd think there's no way they could live on what they get each time, but they stay fat and roly poly on it, so it's all good. Could be his gut is extended because you are holding her longer than they normally can get mama to stand still for a feeding?

How about you NOT hold Onyx for a few feedings and see if the lamb stays plump?

Last night I decided not to and see how she does.

Ayla_noemi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How is she doing/looking now?[/QUOTE ]
So I when I went to take pictures just now baby was chasing Onyx down for a feed. Onyx kept running but I think that’s because of me. Baby did seem to ket some quick sips in though. I took some pictures of Onyx’s udder and baby from above. What are your thoughts?

725ED342-2A31-4BF0-BAF0-9441F7693FA2.jpeg
89A58A49-1CC8-48CE-B4EB-1CE5B2D8CA8A.jpeg
C15BB080-DE65-415B-AA2D-4FB95D09B0C0.jpeg

Every time I held Onyx before baby would empty her udder but she seems to be ok without it.