There’s a first time for everything.

Ayla_noemi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So glad to see the little one figured things out :love Don't worry about posting "too many" pics, we love pics here!

So I have to admit that I forgot to weigh baby last night but this morning Onyx’s udder was very relaxed to they must of worked it out throughout the night. When we went in to feed they were laying down together. We tied Ony’s back legs again so we could try and witness a feed. All I had to do was but baby next to the udder and she had a good long feeding. I’m so happy things turned out good. I know this was all unnecessary but I wanted to try my hand at it with these two so I could be better prepared should it be necessary in the future. Here are some pictures of this mornings feed. Baby was super relaxed and comfortable.
FB03769B-4CC3-4197-86AB-5457861CA561.jpeg
A32FE18E-0406-4E17-BA12-BEDBC3E45768.jpeg
BC7A1042-B2BA-4DC5-B57A-8B1C81B33CB2.jpeg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
:love Aww, I can almost see that little tail wagging with pleasure! Such a beautiful pair and thing to witness...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Excellent experiment!!! I love it when folks try new things just to learn if it can be done. I love Onyx...that's one keeper of a ewe. I'm glad someone mentioned the stimulating the hind end of the lamb...that comes in handy for getting baby animals to suckle...and also to have a BM(kittens and puppies).

I hope this graft sticks and you can call this experiment a success. I imagine as time goes along and you may have to repeat this grafting with the sheep that you will refine your technique and can teach others how you have found success with it.

Katahdins are my fave sheep breed for a very good reason...easy to work with, easy keepers, docile, easy lambing, easy to fatten on just grass, parasite resistant if raised properly and they are just beautiful in all ways~love the different colors, the way their wool just peels off neatly in large sheets instead of the rag tags of other hair breeds, their neat, feminine heads/faces.

Ayla_noemi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Excellent experiment!!! I love it when folks try new things just to learn if it can be done. I love Onyx...that's one keeper of a ewe. I'm glad someone mentioned the stimulating the hind end of the lamb...that comes in handy for getting baby animals to suckle...and also to have a BM(kittens and puppies).

I hope this graft sticks and you can call this experiment a success. I imagine as time goes along and you may have to repeat this grafting with the sheep that you will refine your technique and can teach others how you have found success with it.

Katahdins are my fave sheep breed for a very good reason...easy to work with, easy keepers, docile, easy lambing, easy to fatten on just grass, parasite resistant if raised properly and they are just beautiful in all ways~love the different colors, the way their wool just peels off neatly in large sheets instead of the rag tags of other hair breeds, their neat, feminine heads/faces.

I did have one more question for everyone. How long should they remain separated from the heard before being reintroduced in order to encourage them to stay together?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would keep them apart for about a week and assess their bonding. If they sleep together, lamb feeds without issue, you should be good. It will also give her milk time to get thru the lamb's system and then the smell of her poop will be that of the ewe's milk production., plus they will share their smell from coat oils, licking, etc. Then they can identify one another, plus take any reclaim chances from the actual mom as it will no longer smell as hers.

Lambs & goats do not nurse long at a time when this young but, more frequent. Later the length of time extends, frequency drops. They can get a lot in a few suckles.

Things seem to be going well!! They sure look like they belong to one another...all that lovely black hair! So glad for all of you there. Try watching and not typing legs, that will give you some idea of how they are doing.

Ayla_noemi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would keep them apart for about a week and assess their bonding. If they sleep together, lamb feeds without issue, you should be good. It will also give her milk time to get thru the lamb's system and then the smell of her poop will be that of the ewe's milk production., plus they will share their smell from coat oils, licking, etc. Then they can identify one another, plus take any reclaim chances from the actual mom as it will no longer smell as hers.

Lambs & goats do not nurse long at a time when this young but, more frequent. Later the length of time extends, frequency drops. They can get a lot in a few suckles.

Things seem to be going well!! They sure look like they belong to one another...all that lovely black hair! So glad for all of you there. Try watching and not typing legs, that will give you some idea of how they are doing.

Yeah I picked that lamb over her sister because her sister was white with brown spots. Not that it matters but they looked similar and it just seemed right to me. Lol. I will try without tying her legs tomorrow. Thank you all.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm betting Onyx will start to look less depressed once she's fully bonded with this lamb...sheep are kind of sensitive when flock members are taken away and I'm betting it's doubly so when their lambs are removed from them too soon. She looked a little hang dog on those pics when she was being sheared and her udder was too extended.

I'm very eager to see this turn out successfully. I'm so very glad you tried this out.

Latest posts