Thinking about trying a "locavore" diet....does anyone do this?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea those snaps are wonderful...we eat them like candy!
and theyare fab for crunchy/sweet in a salad...Nicole picks her out and eats the salad last lol

Nicole on a cereal kick which I have shut down.
as a snack now and then but not to live on so I bought tons of fresh fruit--buy one get one. the cantalupes are fab. I thought they would be cruddy but to our amazement theyare delish and Nicole is sucking them down fast lol--the strawberries are ok, passable but we ae enjoying them. Now she is on a fresh kick again and I sure like that

lycky my kid does take fruit over crap and I am surprised those adults turn up their noses lol--ask me and I would be eatinga piece of that watermelon :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
As for what is wrong with popcorn, the carb content and the fact that 90% of corn out there is now GMO.
GMO popcorn? Really?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
abifae said:
They turn up their noses at fresh fruit?

What is wrong with these people??

My favorite snacks as a kid were the seaweed wrapped rice crackers :D I'd still nom them all the time if it weren't for the stupid low carb thing. *scowls*
Abi. if you sprout your rice, and then make crackers, you will have lowered the carb content by about 75% ;)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
>.>

Which rice will sprout? I always assumed by the time I bought it, it was so pulverized I couldn't do a thing with it!

Do tell :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
While there are no specific GMO popcorn varieties out there are of yet, there is this...

"According to the Popcorn Board, a nonprofit, check-off organization funded by U.S. popcorn processors, there is no genetically modified popcorn on the market -- but, biotech varieties are in the works. How long popcorn will stay genetically pure is anyone's guess, but it may be a moot speculation.

Many farmers now believe that, on account of corn pollen's pesky habit of drifting around on the winds and fertilizing any old corn plant it meets, there is no genetically pure corn left in the world. Recently I was disturbed to read that my favorite garden seed suppliers, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, reported that they had been doing "major and expensive" GMO testing on all of their corn varieties. Sadly, much, if not most, of their corn is contaminated with GM Franken-genes."
http://www.grist.org/article/Checkout-Line-Iffy-pop

anniem

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've thought about it since reading Kingsolvers book. We're definitely closer than we were a year ago, partly b/c I feel like I can better afford it now (I hate saying that, but sometimes it's hard to see any other quick ways to cut costs).
We have laying hens, bought 1/2 a cow, and get a CSA share (luckily there is a year round one here). There's also a local on-line food "store" that sells from many farms so I get dairy through that as well as extra veggies.
One of my boys eats very well, will try anything and would easily adapt to just eating whatever I make. My older son...not so much. With him it's texture issues, he's very sensitive any many ways. At this point i'm just making as many changes as I can without pushing anyone else, I make sure to get things locally that we'd be eating no matter what.
My older son is a carb fiend, although I think he'd be better off wheat-free (I know I am!). I'm trying to make bread and pancakes with spelt and at least give a little variety without creating any food struggles.
I think completely locavore is gonna be difficult unless everyone is on board, and having kids in school sounds like it'd be a big challenge! My older son is only in half day kindergarten, although i'm considering homeschooling and a benefit (not a reason, tho) would be making sure he had good meal and snacks.
Your location will play a big role, too. I like the idea of having a few chosen exceptions, for me that be baking things (sugar, baking powder, oil) and tea off the top of my head. Maybe even just doing certain things completely local would be a fun challenge, i've definitely learned a lot by paying more attention to seasonal produce and it's motivating to add more things to the local/seasonal list.
Good luck!