Thinking of moving- looking at southwest US-need input.

DrMom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
NurseNettie,

I am a nurse and my husband is in construction, or should say was. We now live in Salt Lake City, yes in the city, on a 1/3 acre lot. I spend time this March in Northern Maine, Presque Isle. The Southwest and No Maine are very different, economically and structurely, not to mention the weather. I lived for 12 years in Alaska, 4 of which is in the bush (Bethel). We are also about the same age.

The Southwest if mostly frontier, especially if you want acerage. Maine is rural. The two are very different. On the east coast rural areas, I find you have access with in an hour or so to specialty medical care. Out west it can be a 4 + hour drive.

When we moved to SLC, I had an associate degree and RN. That was great in AK, but not here. So back to school, and still going. I hope to finish the dissertation soon. If you want to go back to school there is access. If not I'm not sure how marketable an LVN will be. Also, the economy sucks right now. My husband has been unemployed for 9 month, he was working in commercial construction and has applied for hundreds of jobs. I also found the cost of living less in Maine, housing and food.

Now I love living, SLC. Access to recreation the weather, access to academics, cutting edge healthcare. But, I do live in the "City"

So sorry for the other side, but such a move at our age is major. But, Idaho is the potato capital of the west so you might feel at home there!

desertgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am born and raised in Albuquerque NM. I am an RN, DH is an electrician. Bad news-the construction industry took quite a hit in this accursed economy, and doesn't look to improve anytime soon (we are usually a few years behind the rest of the country here in the land of manana!). Other than that, I have only good things to say-beautiful land, great people, amazing food.
:love

(but we always talk about moving to someplace like Maine...maybe we should just swap houses for a year or two!)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I dream about relocating someplace out west, but then I get to thinking about everything we have here in Ohio and realize just how darn lucky we are. We enjoy all 4 seasons, and none of them are really all that harsh. Lots of lakes to play and fish in. Water is not an issue. We have skiing, 20 minutes to 4 hours away depending on what terrain you feel like skiing. We have real trees and real grass and very fertile soil. The wildlife is still plentiful, so the hunting and fishing is great. Land prices for the most part are still reasonable and it is a rolling, very scenic landscape.
We have a very diversified population with outstanding education(Ohio State for example) Our local hospital is rated one of the top 10 in the country for cardiac care. True, our local and state economy took a big hit with the closing of the local GM stamping plant, and some other business's, but we are surviving.

What more could a person ask for in an area?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I would take a hard look at Oklahoma.

MUCH warmer and dryer than you are used to, yet no truly oppressing heat. Property is cheap. You have enough rain and good soil for gardening. Also you still have that nice South West feel. ;)

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You might want to look at the Hobbs, Eunice NM /Andrew TSX area. Its high desert so its cooler than the valley. You will get some snow and ice through the night in the winter, but all gone by 9 AM.

This is the oil patch and getting a good water well is kinda hard. But city water is available.

There are a couple of construction projects going on in the area. One is LES and the other will be processing spend fuel rods. But they have delayed some of their projects because of the economy.

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe I'm over a year into this thread/ posting. Loving the summer here in Maine, and always dreaming of a longer garden season and milder winter season during the winter. While not jumping at any decisions, I do still dream of something milder!!

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Remember, the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.No offense to those living in the southwest or wanting to, but you couldn't pay me enough to live there..What wrong with Maine..? The southwest is always struggling for water, the essence of ALL life. Maine has abundant fresh clean water,so it gets a little cold..:) I'd stay right in Maine, even moreso as times get crazier, when TSHTF it won't take long to be a potential victim in the southwest. IMO...!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
A LITTLE cold?!?! :gig. Hubby and I came from cold regions. Where we are now, there is some cold and snow, but nothing like what we grew up with. No way do we want to go back. While the water bill can get high sometimes, the heating bill is pretty darn low :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We are FROM the southwest (so cal) and now live in the Pac NW....would NEVER return.
'nuff said.

I suggest the Willamette valley area.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How about Waco, Texas or the surrounding towns ( China Springs, Valley Mills, Moody, Lorena, Robinson to name a few !!!!) Would love to have some more duck people close by.. Cost of living is lower here too.. In waco we have two big hospitals and in Temple we have Scott and white plus the VA.. there's also a VA here in waco, but the temple one is huge.. Rosebud texas has sandy loam which is good for growing vegetables.