This is about an "anti-frugal" as you can get!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Anything can make you fat if you eat too much of it. If you are eating more calories than you are burning, you will gain weight. Carbs are easier to burn, physiologically than fat. Fat is usually only burned after all the carb calories are gone.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I know someone who, as an experiment, INTENTIONALLY overate fat and protein but did not eat more than about 10g of carbs a day. Despite an entire month of more than doubling his calories with no change in activity, he gained NO weight. Others have repeated his experiment.

Calories in = calories out only if you are a combustion engine. People do not combust calories, they digest them.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
OK, but you are only citing anecdotal evidence, which doesn't prove much, quite frankly.

It depends upon activity. If you are a sloth, carbs won't get burned and they will turn to fat. However, if you are active the body prefers to burn carbs as fuel. That is all I'm saying. When you exercise you burn carbs first and fat burns only apparently after several hours of exercise.

Also animal fats tend to carry fat-soluble toxins into the body that become stored in the body.

When you do burn fat, it creates it's own toxins that can poison you if you don't drink enough water.

The brain functions solely on glucose.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
No way are you convincing me that a Deep Fried Peanut Butter-Covered Brownie Wrapped In Cookie Dough is bad for me!!! :lol:
I'm with you on this one.

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm a bit naive about the topic of fat. As with most of us, before I began to pay attention to my diet I ate anything I wanted with wild abandon. But now, with all of the controversial information about fats, I haven't a clue what I can or cannot eat when it comes to that. I am one of those people that everyone hates because I can eat whatever I want without gaining any weight. But regardless of weight gain or loss I can definitely tell a big difference in the way I feel when I eat things that I think are "unhealthy". I don't know if it's relavant or not but I'm hypersensitive to sugar and caffeine. If I over-indulge, which in my case is a normal serving, I get anxiety attacks, dizziness and sick to my stomach. So aside from staying away from obviously unhealthy additives, I also stay away from anything that makes me feel "off" and that includes greasy food. I do know that thin people are still prone to high blood pressure and diabetes if they're careless about their diet so even though I'm not over weight I am still mindful of these dangers. Additives, to me, were a no-brainer; HFCS=bad, MSG=bad, nitrates=bad, aspartame=bad, etc. But when I start researching fats I get more and more confused the further I dig. So I toss up my hands. I stay away from hydrogenated oil and most deep-fried food because of the acrylamide. Otherwise I'm clueless.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The anecdotal evidence was created while testing the theories outlined in the book "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.
"Since the early 1970s, for instance, Americans' average fat intake has dropped from over 40% of total calories to 34%; average serum cholesterol levels have dropped as well. But no compelling evidence suggests that these decreases have improved health. Although heart disease death rates have dropped--and public health officials insist low-fat diets are partly responsible--the incidence of heart disease does not seem to be declining, as would be expected if lower fat diets made a difference. This was the conclusion, for instance, of a 10-year study of heart disease mortality published in The New England Journal of Medicine in 1998, which suggested that death rates are declining largely because doctors are treating the disease more successfully. AHA statistics agree: Between 1979 and 1996, the number of medical procedures for heart disease increased from 1.2 million to 5.4 million a year. "I don't consider that this disease category has disappeared or anything close to it," says one AHA statistician.

Meanwhile, obesity in America, which remained constant from the early 1960s through 1980, has surged upward since then--from 14% of the population to over 22%. Diabetes has increased apace. Both obesity and diabetes increase heart disease risk, which could explain why heart disease incidence is not decreasing. That this obesity epidemic occurred just as the government began bombarding Americans with the low-fat message suggests the possibility, however distant, that low-fat diets might have unintended consequences--among them, weight gain. "Most of us would have predicted that if we can get the population to change its fat intake, with its dense calories, we would see a reduction in weight," admits Harlan. "Instead, we see the exact opposite." "
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/taubes.html
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15886898

The Taubes book covers the history of government dietary recommendations and where they come from. it is a real eye opener and explains the years I spent cutting calories with absolutely no weight loss and the 2 years I spent exercising 1 hour a day for 6 days a week over a 2 year period with no calorie increase and didn't lose a single pound.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Wifezilla:

I think the two reasons our American society has been having problems with obesity are 1. reduced activity relative to other times in history and 2. will power regarding portion sizes. Although, I also think the high fructose corn syrup sodas that many people "snack" on through the day are quite problematic.

One thing with exercise is you may not lose "weight" because you will gain muscle mass and that registers heavier than the fat it replaces.

In my experience you can lose weight (in the form of extra body insulation, not as registered on a scale) fairly consistently exercising no more than 3 days a week, but for long durations (over 2 hours at a time). I honestly think you can lose weight pretty fast by doing nearly all day walks/hikes or bike rides, but especially if you are carrying a heavy pack. (Try training for a long backpacking trip). The problem is that few people have the time or motivation to devote to such an exercise regime.

Edited for clarification

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla: That's very informative. Thank you.

Like I said before, I do not have any problems keeping weight off. I actually have to work to keep it on. But DH does have a little trouble with weight. Personally, I think he needs to get outside to play more but since I've never had to battle weight problems I'm probably not the best person to be giving him advice, KWIM? I would like to hear suggestions from both sides of this dichotomy about the best ways to change one's diet to accommodate a thinner lifestyle. There is no way that we can cut fat from our diets. We use olive oil to cook with and we do eat meat but nothing processed if we can help it. We also avoid fried foods. He does have a weakness for sugar but I don't know how to quench that desire in a healthy way. I'm confused about the different types of fats. I googled "saturated fat" and from what I'm reading, it sounds like it's all bad news.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Saturated fats are solid at room temperature, they are typically animal fats (butter, bacon fat), but palm and coconut oil contain saturated fats too.

Unsaturated fats are typically vegetable oils. There are different types of unsaturated fat . . . olive oil is one of the healthier types.

In general unsaturated fats are healthier than saturated, but that actually depends upon how you prepare the fat before you eat it. Cooking with some unsaturated fats may not be very healthy. Olive oil is fine to cook with, especially if it is virgin.

I'm not sure what else to tell you, greenrootsmama. If your husband is having concerns over his weight he would probably benefit from increased exercise or decreased portion sizes. In my opinion I would go for the exercise, because it is beneficial to one's health in many ways, not just with weight concerns.

As far as the sweet tooth goes, it is my opinion that one should satisfy that daily in moderation. If you deny that urge, you are more likely to have an unhealthy relationship with sweet foods. So just have a few squares of chocolate and SAVOR them (and make sure you get that exercise too). JMO.