This may be a touchy subject, but ..... Marijuana

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am all for making it legal.

It seems there are so many uses for it.
so far, I've learned:
It makes great fiber for clothes, even better than cotton.
It makes paper with out killing trees.
It helps with pain
now, I find out, smoking it actually helps those that have low/throid. My daughter has to take synthroid because of radiation she had for cancer. Not that I'm advocating a teenager smoke weed, but the idea that this plant can do so much for us, yet we can't use it.

are there other uses I don't know yet?

It just frosts my cookies.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It has quite an interesting history...

"6000 B.C. Cannabis seeds used for food in China

4000 B.C. Textiles made of hemp are used in China. Remains have been found of hemp fibers from this period and from Turkestan a century later. 1

2727 B.C. First recorded use of cannabis as medicine in Chinese pharmacopoeia. In every part of the world humankind has used cannabis for a wide variety of health problems. 2

1500 B.C. Cannabis cultivated in China for food and fiber

1500 B.C. Scythians cultivate cannabis and use it to weave fine hemp cloth. (Sumach 1975)

1200 - 800 BCE Bhang (dried cannabis leaves, seeds and stems) is mentioned in the Hindu sacred text Atharva veda (Science of Charms) as "Sacred Grass", one of the five sacred plants of India. It is used by medicinally and ritually as an offering to Shiva. 3

700 - 600 BCE The Zoroastrian Zend-Avesta, an ancient Persian religious text of several hundred volumes, and said to have been written by Zarathustra (Zoroaster), refers to bhang as Zoroaster's "good narcotic" (Vendidad or The Law Against Demons)

700 - 300 BCE Scythian tribes leave Cannabis seeds as offerings in royal tombs"
http://www.concept420.com/marijuana_cannabis_history_timeline.htm

That site goes all the way up to 2003

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I am not sure I am all for making it legal, but it does have many uses in the medical end of things. Some people actually have a 'license to carry' it for medical reasons.
I don't use it at all, and I have seen some people really destroy themselves with it...it has a tendancy to make you lazy and unmotivated. I believe it is addictive...but not as bad for you as alot of the addictive prescription drugs out there. It can replace alot of the more dangerous prescription drugs out there.
There are alot more points FOR the use of it than there are against it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Its becoming illegal in the first place has more to do with protecting the timber industry and a hatred of Mexicans than it does health and safety.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Even disregarding the THC(medicinal) aspects of marijuanna, and just focusing on industrial grade hemp (Low THC, will not get you high unless you smoke enough to kill a horse)
You have in one, multi-annual crop (meaning you can grow more than one crop per year on the same plot)
Fiber for clothes, rope, sails, canvas and more.
Fuel via ethanol, as hemp has many times more cellulose than corn.
Does not require nearly the number of pesticides & fertilizers that cotton or corn require.

Marijuana has a loooooong history in the US. First US flags? Hemp. First Bibles printed in the states? Hemp. It used to be a required crop.

A good resource for information is The Emperor Wears No Clothes.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm ok with medical marijuana -- it justs needs to go through FDA approval like all the other "medicine".

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
inchworm said:
I'm ok with medical marijuana -- it justs needs to go through FDA approval like all the other "medicine".
And we know the pharmaceuticals would never let all the other.. as you put it "medicine" be approved because more often than not it actually works and oh no! Look! Someone's loosing moneyyyyy!