this place is worthless for my needs

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, have considered and researched this option thoroughly and it is just too much work/time for too little reward. We could make a milk cow out of a Highland as they are sometimes used for this purpose, are generally very tame, gentle cattle if raised properly, but I follow a mix of mostly Paleo/Ketogenic diets which allow unlimited meats (as long as they are not processed meats especially not including sugar such as ham and bacon, though non-sugar-cured bacon is allowed so we can make our own healthier bacon and ham once we have pigs) and organic produce but no grain and very little dairy. We consume almost no dairy and never any milk, no kids here just two adults and dogs, so it would be way more trouble than worth to have a milk cow just to produce the tiny amount of butter, cheese, etc. that we do eat plus then we'd have to find buyers for our surplus milk (though skim milk is excellent as a pig food supplement), much more cost-effective to pay extra to buy grassfed, antibiotic and other drug-free butter and cheese from stores/farmers markets in the small amounts we use. Goal is to supply all of our meat and produce needs and only use grocery stores and other food sources for the small amount of high quality dairy products we consume, only from grassfed organic cattle of course, and occasionally to treat ourselves to things which are healthy but we can't or haven't yet been able to produce at home. :)

Valium does the same for me. Maybe wolf berries are a natural source for this pharmaceutical miracle drug. ;)

Kidding of course. I have PTSD and am prescribed Valium/diazepam for that and without it I can't get any kind of decent sleep.

Obviously it's your choice, but I hope you will someday research what is in those cheap bags of "dog food" and decide to feed them something better. :)

Ha... I don't know what's in wolf berries, but I sleep like a rock after eating a hand full.

As far as sending cattle to the meat locker. Check with your local processor.

Two things you want to ask.

1) is there a weight limit? Can I drop off a 1500lb plus beast for processing?

2) Ask about the 30 month rule and what it means.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am guessing that you provide supplemental lighting. It can mess up their normal laying schedules. All the turkeys that I have had begin laying at the earliest in mid March and stop laying at the latest by the first week in November.

I do not give them supplemental lighting. That also means that most of my chickens do not lay during the winter.

Turkey eggs make really good custards. They also are good for egg fried rice.
No supplemental lighting, I have them on the east side of the barn. I was wondering about egg drop soup with turkey eggs. Might be really good, since turkey eggs seem more favorable to me. Will have to try turkey egg fried rice, sounds delicious.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you sell processed meat, it must be processed by a USDA facility. You can use a custom facility but are supposed to sell the live animal to your customer.
Might ought to check up on the state and federal laws regarding selling meat. Don’t want you getting in trouble.

What you are describing for your own consumption sounds like how it used to be done. I’ve processed hogs before. One minute they are happily eating a watermelon or other treat, next second they are dead, no fear, no pain.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was trying to remember where I had posted about my turkey named Soup. Ha ha we had a good thread going here until the OP changed the title!

Well anyway, here is Soup today. I finally have one turkey processing under my belt.
View attachment 21851
I’m planning to dry brine him for a couple days and then roast him for Christmas dinner.

looks like it is lounging there like on summer vacaytion at the beach... almost... :) congrats and happy turkey feasting!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Me too! Funny how toxicity can't kill a good topic around here. 💓 I was hoping for a turkey recipe though - DH's Yule turkey was so good he baked another one. We need to use up the leftovers asap.
My wife pressure canned the meat for ours, then made broth with the bones.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love that we have kept this thread going. I too laugh whenever I see the title. I wonder if the administrators could change the title back to something relevant about buying and cooking turkey. But that would kind of ruin the fun of our continuing to enjoy what the “sour grapes” person tried to disparage.

But then again, maybe we should forgive and forget and move on.

I vote to choose the later, forgiveness is very important (to me).

Mark 11:25-26

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am unsure if the OP still has access to this thread or not. But I found a video that may offer some insight into grass fed and finished beef, nitch market.

Last edited: