this place is worthless for my needs

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yours is most likely a communal nest. Mine get to have individual hidden nests. Once I leave enough eggs for them to go broody it is usually between 8 to 12. Later in the season they will even go broody on a single fake egg.
Ours lay in the later winter or very early spring. Then again late summer. Summer lay is significantly lower in volume, they brood both lays 🙄

All this talk of turkey eggs is making me hungry. Nothing quite like a turkey egg omlet with thin sliced pre fried deer meat, diced green pepper, tomato & onion, salt, pepper and grated yellow cheese. I done did it to myself now.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had $.45 lb but had to get $45 other tor that. I didn't need anything so didn't buy this year. Plus already 2 turkey breasts in freezer. I personally prefer only the white meat....😐. Have several whole chicken already. Agree seasonal prices are the time to buy! 👍

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya know, I'm not a huge turkey eater BUT I keep wanting to buy and raise them! :idunno :thits a feeling of providing my own food, I guess. I have extra chickens......

Can't rationalize any of it better. The drive to produce.:hu🤣
The non-BB ones taste a lot better also. That's a factor worth considering. Also turkey toms are funny with their gobbling, still makes me laugh 😂

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was trying to remember where I had posted about my turkey named Soup. Ha ha we had a good thread going here until the OP changed the title!

Well anyway, here is Soup today. I finally have one turkey processing under my belt.
View attachment 21851
I’m planning to dry brine him for a couple days and then roast him for Christmas dinner.
Good job! Those wing feathers are hard to pull out. I use a good pair of vice grips.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Me too! Funny how toxicity can't kill a good topic around here. 💓 I was hoping for a turkey recipe though - DH's Yule turkey was so good he baked another one. We need to use up the leftovers asap.
Here are a couple of ideas. The first one is kind of a convenience food recipe and not really a “self sufficient” one, but you could easily substitute homemade cream sauce for the soup and cooked rice for the instant. Then you wouldn’t need much added water.

For the second one, I ignore all the “fat-free, lite, reduced fat” and just use regular full fat ingredients. 😂

Two other favorite ways I use up turkey leftovers is Turkey Pot Pie and Turkey Tetrazzini, which is basically turkey, noodles and Alfredo sauce. Oh, and turkey shepherd’s pie.
F9B042DB-A594-4A33-BA31-A6B5B5030B50.jpeg
60D2E13B-3A27-401D-9381-26D3DED98042.jpeg