tick keep away

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have used Rose Geranium oil with success in the past. We used to live on the edge of town and the lots next to and behind us were vacant and severely overgrown. I was picking ticks off the dogs and kids daily. The oil helped repel the ticks to a degree.

I also second the guinea idea. I have two that free range with my hens and unless the dogs/kids go trekking in the woods we haven't had many ticks. I will also say that I bought my guineas as "teenagers" and kept them locked in the run for a week to learn that this is now their home and we've had no wandering off issues.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Are the ticks still bad? Do you have a lot of leaves where you are? I have found that raking the leaves and dumping them off the hillside far away from the house helps. I have a big stand of oaks, and the ticks are terrible. Apparently, the mouse population is down this year, and that is contributing to the rise in ticks attaching to people.

http://entomology.cornell.edu/cals/entomology/extension/idl/upload/Deer-Tick.pdf

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've always wondered why ticks were such a huge issue in some areas and not others... We lived in the mountain and I NEVER had a tick in 16 odd years. But, when I moved an hour away, there were infestations of ticks.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
You could try bathing with Bronners eucalyptus soap. I used to use it for camping and for washing the pets, and was happy with it.

Be Very careful about essential oils for the little ones. You need to read on on which ones are safe for kids.

You could also go to the drugstore and get a little powdered sulfur- probably from the pharmacy. I rub a tiny bit on my ankles when I expect to be in a high tick/flea/chiggers area. Nothing wants to bite that stuff!
The catch is the stuff absorbs in from the skin and the smell comes out in all you pores after a little while. It wont smell good to humans either.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
luvinlife offthegrid said:
Are the ticks still bad? Do you have a lot of leaves where you are? I have found that raking the leaves and dumping them off the hillside far away from the house helps. I have a big stand of oaks, and the ticks are terrible. Apparently, the mouse population is down this year, and that is contributing to the rise in ticks attaching to people.

http://entomology.cornell.edu/cals/entomology/extension/idl/upload/Deer-Tick.pdf
Yup their still bad. We just pulled one out of my two year old's eye leashes. Yuck!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just came upon this tick repellent recipe a couple of days ago but haven't tried it yet:

Here's a decent tick repellant recipe:

Two cups white vinegar
Two cups Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil
One cup water
One tablespoon eucalyptus oil

Mix it up in a spray bottle, let it sit, and then apply to your skin.

And another, using Neem oil.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! I now have to find a way to make a dog safe fly spray. My outside dogs are being torn up by horse flys.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
There is a product by Young Living Essential Oils called Longevity that I have been told keeps bugs away when taken (it comes in a capsule), and thus far I think I've had pretty good success taking it, I've been taking it for almost a month now, and I think I'm less bothered by flies and flying bugs. I haven't tested it out in a very mosquito environment yet, but I'm sure I'll end up somewhere eventually. I usually get bit pretty bad by mosquitos.

If anyone wants more information, let me know.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ninny said:
Does anyone have a tick keep away secret? My poor two year old had three in her hair yesterday. I do not want to have to use harsh chemicals on her.
After reading the comments here, I can see that ya'll are sadly lacking the sure-fire cure-all for ticks..........FIRE ANTS!!! Yup, ya'll need some major hills of FIRE ANTS to decimate your ticks. Or you could move to the Texas Gulf Coast area............. :lol: