tick keep away

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I heard about a method to keep ticks off, but not really sure I want to try it. But apparently, if you go nekkid, it gives the ticks no place to hide, so you don't have to worry about them. If anyone else wants to try and report back to us.....:hide

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I heard about a method to keep ticks off, but not really sure I want to try it. But apparently, if you go nekkid, it gives the ticks no place to hide, so you don't have to worry about them. If anyone else wants to try and report back to us.....:hide
If I went nekkid, the ticks would run off a cliff. :lol:

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We live on Long Island where the ticks are plentiful and Lymes is quite common. We moved last fall into the middle of the woods and across the road from 200 acres of wood nature preserve. It's beautiful, BUT the ticks SUCK! They are on us every day. The cats have them all over their faces even though we use Frontline on them. I sprayed the yard with EcoSmart for fleas and ticks. It STUNK and gave me a headache. I think it maybe helped a little, but we still couldn't go into the woods or near any vegetation without having at least 3 ticks crawling on us. Deer ticks are tiny, like the size of a flea and you have to look really close to see one. Our current survival tactic, is to spray ourselves with a store bought natural repellent, check ourselves constantly, then at the end of the day, take baths/showers and throw all our clothes in the washing machine. I've heard that flea collars on the cats for a couple of days will take care of the ticks on their faces, so I'm going to try that. I also have 7 guineas keets in the shed, but they just won't grow fast enough. This year is HORRIBLE!

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
it's not much better here in South eastern CT, the ticks are heavy here in Groton. we have about 10-15 new ticks waiting by the front door every morning. its like walking on peanuts i do however find the stomping of pests a great start to my work day! i do not like the ticks being there so thick, i wished i could have chickens here or guineas but they are livestock and my neighbors will turn me over to the cops asap if housing didn't evict us first.

its getting bad enough that i had to spray insecticide on my doorways and windows. but every time we start working outside we have 2-3 on us in minutes.

i'm about to get some bad stuff for the yard but i don't know what to do for the garden. Lyme disease is very heavy in my area. Our dog has had it. he doesn't show the symptoms of it but the vet warned us he could have flare ups from the original exposure but a second fresh round would be a coffin nail.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the_whingnut said:
it's not much better here in South eastern CT, the ticks are heavy here in Groton. we have about 10-15 new ticks waiting by the front door every morning. its like walking on peanuts i do however find the stomping of pests a great start to my work day! i do not like the ticks being there so thick, i wished i could have chickens here or guineas but they are livestock and my neighbors will turn me over to the cops asap if housing didn't evict us first.

its getting bad enough that i had to spray insecticide on my doorways and windows. but every time we start working outside we have 2-3 on us in minutes.

i'm about to get some bad stuff for the yard but i don't know what to do for the garden. Lyme disease is very heavy in my area. Our dog has had it. he doesn't show the symptoms of it but the vet warned us he could have flare ups from the original exposure but a second fresh round would be a coffin nail.
Yikes!! I got my dog vaccinated against after my moms dog got it.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
We live on Long Island where the ticks are plentiful and Lymes is quite common. We moved last fall into the middle of the woods and across the road from 200 acres of wood nature preserve. It's beautiful, BUT the ticks SUCK! They are on us every day. The cats have them all over their faces even though we use Frontline on them. I sprayed the yard with EcoSmart for fleas and ticks. It STUNK and gave me a headache. I think it maybe helped a little, but we still couldn't go into the woods or near any vegetation without having at least 3 ticks crawling on us. Deer ticks are tiny, like the size of a flea and you have to look really close to see one. Our current survival tactic, is to spray ourselves with a store bought natural repellent, check ourselves constantly, then at the end of the day, take baths/showers and throw all our clothes in the washing machine. I've heard that flea collars on the cats for a couple of days will take care of the ticks on their faces, so I'm going to try that. I also have 7 guineas keets in the shed, but they just won't grow fast enough. This year is HORRIBLE!
have you tried some home grown garlic????

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
unfortunately we found out from some of our neighbors have had their dogs vaccinated and the dogs still got Lyme. i don't know how that works but.................. it could have been a bad vaccine or just too late to get it. Lyme disease can just flare at will.

Latest posts