Ticks!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Have you tried the products you mentioned - personally recommend them? NH has the highest rate of Lyme disease infections. I use Flea and tick stuff on the dogs, and will still occasionally find a dead tick on them (it doesn't really repel, it gets absorbed by the dog, and once the tick draws blood it dies. I use Bravecto on the cat, who never goes out. I almost always wear gators over my long pants, and a long sleeve shirt, and then does with deep woods off (40% DEET). I hate using chemicals, but haven't seen of heard of anything that truly works other then DEET.

MIce and voles are now the biggest carriers of deer ticks. Someone makes a product that you leave in tight spaces and attracts the rodents. They eat the treat inside, and get a does of permethrin, which kills the ticks they come in contact with... I haven't tried it yet but I am tired of piking ticks off of me after any day spent outside.

Any advice would be helpful!

I bet you could make one. It's a tube they run through (because that's what mice do) and permethrin to rub off on the mouse

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My stepdad makes tick tubes and sticks them in the stone walls. Toilet paper tube with cotton balls soaked in permethrin I believe. I will have to double check and make some myself this year. Warm winter, it'll be a bad tick year.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so sick of picking ticks off everyone! I also don't want to use heavy duty chemicals, particularly on my daughter. Does anyone have a natural tick repellent that actually works?? And is safe for young children? Thanks!
I found this on the Internet. I tried it, And it's Great!!
Natural Tick Repellent Recipe

20 Drops of Rose Geranium Essential Oil, 10 Drops of Sweetgrass Essential Oil – Click here to order sweetgrass oil online, 5 Drops of Lavender Essential Oil, 5 Drops of Citronella or Lemon Essential Oil, 4oz of Rubbing Alcohol, Witch hazel, Vodka, Apple Cider Vinegar or Distilled Water.
Try it too.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've heard that mint works to repel ticks. Don't know if it actually works or not.
Peppermint does work, but if you'll ask me, That's the most expensive alternative for them. But the effects are great. as long as you can afford them,

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
not expensive if you can grow it. I just pick fresh sprigs and rub them on my skin and shoes, etc. It keeps the yellow jackets away too.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wanted to plant a mint garden in the raised bed by the stone chimney. Now it sounds like i need to grow peppermint.
Will peppermint grow in shady conditions?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think the only place peppermint WON'T grow is in the middle of the Sahara, lol. Seriously, the hardest part about growing peppermint is keeping it under control.