Ticks!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My chickens are doing well in the areas they hang out but we have prime tick conditions. Lots of brush, part of my property is wetlands... Ughhh

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol: Somehow I think I should pass on that offer!

Then again they don't carry deadly diseases right? Lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Best tick avoidance technique is to stand next to someone with a higher body temperature than yours. :gig

I don't mess with ticks! Nexguard for the dogs. Daily tick checks for humans.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Where are you located? They're so awful here, they never used to be until the past 10 years or so. Never had to deal with them like this when I was a kid. It's enough to make me want to be a city dweller, lol! (I am so kidding, but really they're stressing me out!)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ooh we might be moving to eastern TN. Swapping northern tickville for southern tickville. At least I'll lose some snowfall in the process!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes tick fever is quite dangerous. My little sister got Rocky Mountain Tick fever when she was a toddler and I remember my parents bribing her to take her medicine.

Bay I have had seed ticks and I have picked seed ticks off my kids. It's really easy to pick them off when first on though. The problem is you don't get one but hundreds so act quick. I don't think I would have had the nerve to run naked though! :gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
all the vets around here are saying this year is gonna be one for the record books. lots of rain, unseasonably warm, big temperature shifts. i too have been hopelessly looking for something to deal with both fleas and ticks. i remember somebody else recommending Avon. i'll go and do some more research and drop back when i've got something to share.:pop

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We mixed up some water, with a few drops of peppermint oil and a bit of vinegar, to spritz our clothes and skin. It seemed to help better than name-brand pest repellent at the store after trying many other alternatives.