Ticks!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
This fall you should fence the garden in and move the chickens in for the winter. That will clear out the infestation. Maybe you could even run a chicken tractor in there during the growing season?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's that time of year again, and we are having a banner year for ticks here this year. I know the winter was a hard one for most of the country, but here in the southeast, we got rain, rain, and more rain, with very few freezing nights throughout. I've already picked off more ticks on us this Spring than the last two years combined.

Remember, tick borne diseases are on the rise. @Farmfresh gave a very good warning. Freeze your ticks. If you end up in the hospital, they can be tested and just may save your life!

Here we're also seeing a big explosion this year with fleas and things like no-see-ums. And the fleas, at least on the cats, are not responding to the medicine. I wonder if we're creating super resistant fleas like everything else. I really dont like guinea hens but might have to get some for tick control.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've only seen one tick on our dog in the last 18 years, and this is with deer all over the place. The only reason I can come up with is that we have a very large colony of quail that share the scratch with the chickens. They eat ticks too, and they aren't as obnoxious as guinea fowl.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Unless you keep your garden tightly covered and fenced, I doubt that you could keep quail there. I don't know how destructive they are. Don't have any personal experience. Chickens and turkeys, most likely ducks will also eat ticks. The greatest issue for me: toO many predators to allow me to free range my chickens. Last summer, I was killing about 3 ticks/day during the early part of tick season. When I free ranged my chickens, there were no tick issues. Do a google search for toilet paper tubes/cotton balls/permethrin for a DIY approach for interrupting the tick/mouse/deer cycle.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My stepdad makes tick tubes and sticks them in the stone walls. Toilet paper tube with cotton balls soaked in permethrin I believe. I will have to double check and make some myself this year. Warm winter, it'll be a bad tick year.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Avon makes an organic one...can't remember what it's called but it's DEET free and that's all I can use.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've heard that mint works to repel ticks. Don't know if it actually works or not.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My tomcat came home the other day loaded with tiny deer ticks...he's white so they all show up great. I also have a tabby female but who would know if she has them, they are so tiny and black? I've searched her but can't spot any. Dabbed castor oil on all of his, then picked them off later.

I too have trouble finding all natural things they can use...mostly because I don't like to use the chemicals, but also because the chemicals are costly and largely ineffective anyway.