Ticks!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After reading that, I will freeze any ticks from now on!! We worked on fence line again today and I pulled off a crawling tick, it hadn't bit yet. DH and I examined each other before taking our showers. I will be so glad to have that fence line finished, ALL of our property will be fenced and we can turn the sheep out on the new area. Then there's that boat trailer I want to build a portable chicken coop on.......and they can go to the "new" area and eat ticks!

Thanks @Farmfresh !!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
If the information can help one other person, then the ordeal was worth it. Pass the info on too, to anyone that will listen. It is something simple that can possibly save a life.

And yes, it was a terrifying time. I watched a strong healthy guy that was biking 20 to 30 miles in a weekend fun ride be reduced to a person who could not stand up and walk alone to the bathroom in less than two weeks. Thank God they figured it out and today he has no lasting issues from it.

It is just a God Blessing. Period.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
New issue of Mother Earth News says these essential oils repel --

Cinnamon -- mosquitoes
Citronella -- mosquitoes & flies

Eucalyptus -- mosquitoes, ticks & lice
Geranium -- mosquitoes, ticks & lice

Orange -- fleas

I've read sage helps with fleas. Peppermint for mice.

So, if you lightly heat a little carrier oil, ad some alcohol or witch hazel, plus some essential oils...you could do a wipe for the animals & self. Cedar & garlic are 2 more scents that are insect repellant. Cedar bedding, garlic in food.

The pet collars sold as non-chemical are combinations of the above. Just make your own. You can buy pure essential oils thru soap making suppliers & I get some from Puritan's Pride.

Do not use the ones sold in candle aisle for potpourri (sp) as most not true essential oils.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Adverse reactions to essential oil flea/tick treatments:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1476-4431.2012.00780.x/full

d-limonene (component of citrus and lavender) is toxic to cats.

Terpenes are risky for cats too, so eucalyptus (terpene + d-limonene) is toxic to them.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/104063879801000223

Citronella is toxic to cats, but at higher concentrations. It is used for cat deterrent products, which indicates to me there is a safe level of exposure.... and that your cat might not appreciate wearing it.

I hadn't heard of geranium or cinnamon posing problems for cats, and I didn't see anything on a quick Google Scholar search.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I found out where I am picking up the ticks. Apparently it is in my garden. Both the boys got ticks after helping me out there the last couple of days. Boy I've been hearing no end to that. They already hate helping me in the garden.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ticks in your garden? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seriously that Is one of the very few places I am safe from ticks here!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
This fall you should fence the garden in and move the chickens in for the winter. That will clear out the infestation. Maybe you could even run a chicken tractor in there during the growing season?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've picked up a few ticks in the yard, but have found them crawling on me B4 they bite. I would love to let chickens run free in there, but since our yard is only fenced on 3 sides, I can't. I let them out, they go in the neighbor's yard for bird seed. I plan on getting a 100 ft. roll of welded wire fence so I can put that up and take it down as needed. Hubby doesn't want to fence in the front of the yard.

The chickens I have at home are next to my garden. I plan on putting a gate from their pen into the garden so I can keep the garden closed, but give them access during the winter.