Ticks!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Even a heavy snow year will not knock back the tick population. They have been seen even with good snow cover on the ground. Have you read about the cotton balls sprayed with permethrin and stuffed into toilet paper tubes? These are then placed around the property. Mice take that tainted cotton back to line their nests. The permethrin kills the ticks at the source b/c the babies and mama have the permethrin on their fur. Studies have shown that this practice has a substantial affect on the tick populations. Mice are part of the deer tick/lyme disease loop.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last year we had to remove 1 tick from 1 of our dogs. I love our guineas! They patrol everywhere the dogs go.
The barn cat is another story, I have already removed a tick from eye brow ... Any advice for tick repellant for her and her babies?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Looney Goonies roam the yard, about an acre and pasture #1, about an acre. I guess I’ll have to get another trio for the horse barn and 2 1/2 acres. Maybe I can coop some babies in the horse barn, when they hatch out.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We mixed up some water, with a few drops of peppermint oil and a bit of vinegar, to spritz our clothes and skin. It seemed to help better than name-brand pest repellent at the store after trying many other alternatives.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We had a couple light tick years because the mouse population took a hit because of a lost acorn crop.

This year.... they're back! :( So many in my garden.

We have a bottle with some isopropyl alcohol in the bottom and tick check everyone every night. :/

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a couple light tick years because the mouse population took a hit because of a lost acorn crop.

This year.... they're back! :( So many in my garden.

We have a bottle with some isopropyl alcohol in the bottom and tick check everyone every night. :/

Ticks find their way to the most unlikely places.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so sick of picking ticks off everyone! I also don't want to use heavy duty chemicals, particularly on my daughter. Does anyone have a natural tick repellent that actually works?? And is safe for young children? Thanks!
Tell me about it. my second daughter also has a lot. we dont normally have ticks around. maybe she got them from school. from a classmate. of you already figured out the best remedy. pin me in the comments. thanks.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Avon makes an organic one...can't remember what it's called but it's DEET free and that's all I can use.
5 Best Tick Repellents and Sprays
  • Nantucket Spider Tick Repelling Spray (Our Top Pick)
  • Natrapel 12-Hour Tick Spray (Our Second Choice)
  • REPEL Sportsman Max Insect Repellent.
  • Wondercide Insect Repellent.
  • Ben's 100% DEET Tick Repellent.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going... (against ticks.)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've only seen one tick on our dog in the last 18 years, and this is with deer all over the place. The only reason I can come up with is that we have a very large colony of quail that share the scratch with the chickens. They eat ticks too, and they aren't as obnoxious as guinea fowl.