To Live To Laugh To Love- I'm trying!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohmigosh Ohmigosh. Have I mentioned that SO is the sweetest man ever? If I haven't, I should, because he is. Although sometimes he's too sweet, he gets me things even when I think we should be saving the money. Butthead. But its so hard to get grumpy about it, because its for me.....

Anyway, we work at the same place (where we met, lol) and our shifts back up to the other in the evenings. He showed up with a couple books (not unusual, since there can be big downtime if theres a no-show appointment). And he was all "oh, I brought two books, and I can only read one at a time. So I guess this one should be yours" and he whipped out a brand new copy of "the encyclopedia of country living" which he knows I've been wanting. TOOO SWEET. In other news, we found a full set of foxfire books in our local used bookstore. They all seemed too "spiritual"/not applicable to my area for me to buy a specific one for my interests, but there was one (#11?) that was all about blacksmithing and so forth, so he got that for himself. So quite exciting, all in all. :)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Cool.....I love books....any books.....before chickens and rabbits and ducks and quail and goats books were my obsession :gig

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
Have a peek here for a review of a good/cheap book for all your SS needs

http://modern-pioneer.blogspot.com/2010/02/awesome-useful-book-to-have.html

Too bad yuns didn't live closer, things get better I would hire him in my apprenticeship program and teach him to be a Coppersmith.

I admit I have a rewarding trade and do like my work a lot.
We found a welding school at our nearby community college, a one year program (can be one or two years, but he's going to try and do it in one...) that way, he's got his nice college degree, but he has a real trade as well to fall back on. And pretty economy proof too, as compared to zoology. :lol:

And thanks for the link! I actually read your blog, so I've seen it before. I know, I'm a stalker. ;) SS people make up at least half of my blog roll... maybe more!

In other news, I gave away a scoby today! I'm so excited, she tried kombucha the first time at my place a couple months ago... then asked for more... then helped me bottle a batch... then was asking where she could get a mushroom! :D Made me happy.

Also, it is currently finals week. :( I'm in big trouble this term after the time I missed for my dad's hospital adventure. BUT, I'm going to death valley over spring break with SO, so I'm REALLY excited about that. Even if it will be cold as all get out at night! I need to figure out food plans for that, though, because there's not many food options. We'll be tent camping, but I have a propane coleman stove that I'll do most of my cooking on. We'll be there a week. What suggestions do people have? I think I'll post this q over on the kitchen, too....

And I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I found a house for rent only 4.5 miles from campus that is JUST across city lines, so I can have all my roos... it's plenty of acres, and a massive house. Two oven kitchen, 4 bedrooms and a den, etc. It would be fantastic. But I'm worried I won't get it, and I'm trying to not like it too much so that I won't be too disappointed if I don't get it. But I drove the route that I would bike to classes today on my way home. :rolleyes: I have no self control.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I survived my finals! And first thing tomorrow morning, SO and I are taking off for death valley! Stop over at my parent's on the way to get some camping gear, switch cars with my mom (my tahoe is OLD and the brakes leave a bit to be desired... lol! and she has a really nice big pretty fancy truck with new tires and great 4wheel drive) and see the chickens. Also, she's cooking a big breakfast, and it's gonna include hush puppies! :D :D :D :D I miss hush puppies. It's been a couple years since I've had them.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm back from camping. And too dang tuckered to even begin to tell the story of everything that happened. Through various combinations of stupidity and bad luck, SO and I got into some tight spots. I got out of them all, and have lived to tell about it, thank goodness. Minor preview includes: road that was out and had boulders under it exposed, ended in a lake and I had to go all the way back, less than a half mile from the end of the road, white out blizzard going over a pass, and had to craaaawl over 50 miles back. I had to rely on running over those little nubs in the center to tell where the road was. All in all, the locations varied from almost 300 ft below sea level to around 8 to 10,000 ft above sea level. We went from 90 some degree weather to a whiteout flash blizzard. Winds got up to 65 mph in two different states two different times. We hiked miles, got sunburned, sweated, and also nearly froze to death (okay, exaggeration, it just felt like it) at a couple nights. We've been to three states, and many many places.

Needless to say, I've had a long week. But SO was a great support, and made every effort to be a strong and brawny mountain man, even though he has been raised a soft little seattle city boy. ;) We got along well, especially through the crises, and I think this indicates very good things. My apartment is trashed, the truck still needs cleaning and returning to my parents, and I need to remember how to live indoors. Did I miss anything delightful and important around here? I don't have a lot of time to catch up on it all.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Welcome home! Sounds like you need a hot bath and a good nights sleep in your own bed. :D