1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out this member patch of earth- Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

To plant or not?

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by BarredBuff, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Mar 16, 2019
    BarredBuff

BarredBuff El Presidente de Pollo

So, my garden has come together very nicely this week. It has dried out enough to work the ground and prepare it for the Spring. Simultaneously, they are giving excellent weather for the next week. I'd like to take this time, and plant my potatoes, green onions, peas, broccoli, and cabbage.

My main concern is my potatoes. Our average last frost date is April 15 to May 1. This would be roughly a month before the earliest date. However, the weather looks great for this week and I may not have the opportunity to do it later. (I'm paranoid about the weather since it has rained for months) Plus, in years past, I have found that I normally get them out too late because it warms up quickly here.

What are your thoughts?

2. Mar 16, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

I say go for it....maybe plant half if you're worried about not having enough seed potatoes - that way if it does get too cold you still have some seed potatoes to plant later? Couldn't you mulch 'em real heavy if it looks like it's gonna get too cold?

BarredBuff likes this.
  3. Mar 16, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

Go for it. However, potato foliage is extremely frost sensitive. As long as the spuds are not sprouted above the soil, no worries about a frost. If you have a small enough potato patch, you could keep a blanket handy, and cover them at night when you have frost predictions. Alternately, you could keep a few hay bales handy and simply mulch them heavily if you get cold weather.

I don't hill my potatoes. Instead, I mulch heavily with hay and grass clippings. So, for me, tossing on extra mulch would be the preferred way to protect them in the event of frost.

What is your planting zone?

Marianne and BarredBuff like this.
  4. Mar 16, 2019
    BarredBuff

We are Zone 6b.

I've plenty of straw on hand that I have been stockpiling for months anyway if I needed to mulch. I've also got rolls of plastic laid back too.

My struggle is that it'll be super hot the first of May (typically). So, really its now or they'll be hot.

5. Mar 16, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

Go for it.

6. Mar 16, 2019
    Marianne

Marianne Super Self-Sufficient

Go for it.
    I'm zone 5 and we usually plant spuds and onions on March 15th. I agree w/ lazy gardener, but I always did a heavy mulch with straw. The first year here I grew spuds in straw, they were great.

I lied, we're zone 6. Maybe I just wish I was in zone 5?

BarredBuff likes this.
  7. Mar 16, 2019
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

BB, I'm close to your zone and I'm planting mine next week. I've had good success in planting early and also late as spuds don't seem to be one of the veggies affected by the heat that much. Our last frost date is May 15.

BarredBuff likes this.
  8. Mar 17, 2019
    BarredBuff

That pretty well settles it. Monday evening, Lord willing, we'll have 'taters to plant.

9. Mar 17, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

You are the same zone as me 6B, but I think I'm more in zone 7 most of the time. Spots in both my gardens are still to wet to sow in.

Here's what old Clyde has to say about our zone. He says, plant potatoes around the end of March. I most always plant a week or two early and rarely run into problems due to a hard freeze. My "rule of thumb" I don't set out any hardy transplants until the last 25 degrees overnight temperature has passed, 20 degrees for onions.
    IMG_20190317_174048.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    sumi and BarredBuff like this.
  10. Mar 17, 2019
    BarredBuff

CrealCritter-- That's a pretty handy gadget!

Soil wise---- I've got some pretty hard clods in my tater patch, but other than that it is velvety smooth. I cut my seed taters this afternoon, and plan on putting them in the ground tomorrow.