Toddler getting a little too up-close and personal with chickens...

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My 3 year old LOVES her chickens and has one under her arm most of the day. I am a little concerned with the likelihood of her getting parasites off of them, particularly worms!!

I treat my chickens in the fall with Ivermec pour-on, a few drops on the back of the neck and toss out the eggs for the next two weeks. I check them periodically and watch for lice or any signs of a heavy worm load. I have not had to--but I would dose them again if they did. They are all so far in good health. (I don't like the idea of using Sevin dust on them either, won't do it.)

But I know there's bound to be some worms still around! I don't want to sanitize my chickens with constant medications. I am try to maintain a good balance and manage them as naturally as possible.

Here lately I've had to get on my toddler's case for crawling THRU the chicken door and into the coop. And for going down to the coop barefoot. I try to catch her and get shoes on her, but wow--she's quick!

I'm worried she's going to pick up tapeworms or something. Has anybody else been through this? What signs should I watch for that she might have worms! What do I need to do to prevent it? It grosses me out to think about it! :sick I will be so embarrassed if I have to take her to her pediatrician to be dewormed!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOLOL

You poor thing. I wouldn't stress too much though. My sons got pinworms at elementary school, so don't think that chickens are the only problem.

Most parasites can be seen in poo. Since kids never flush (unless there is something fun to flush that could destroy your pluming) you should be able to see if there is anything wrong.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
FYI Pyrantel Pamoate (the classic dog dewormer) is used in humans to treat, well, pinworms, for example. I bought a bottle of Nemex (pyrantel pamoate) at a farm store and was SHOCKED to see the dosing instructions for people! lol

But it won't do anything for tapeworm.

Life isn't sanitary. Wash hands and feet frequently and let her be a kid.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Um, okay. I wouldn't worry so much about parasites, but I don't allow my kids to tote the chickens around or to get their faces very close to them. It's awesome that your little girl is entranced with the chickens, but... My uncle's MIL had her eye pecked by a chicken when she was 4. After she healed, she wore a glass eye until the day she died.

Don't want to freak anyone out, but it can happen. Think about it, it's shiny and looks like a bug to these birds. :/

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Eeep! That I never thought of! They peck at my toes or my rings sometimes, so I can see how it could happen... :th

She's been lovin' on these since they were medium-sized chicks. She's gotten so attached to them, it would be hard to keep her from them. (And she's an only child--so far--so she's a bit lonely and bored.) At least she's still got the dogs to love on.

I was just wondering on the worms, because a friend of mine's child had gotten them, tapeworms I think they were. Would they get them from touching poo or do you have to eat something yucky or something that has been in contact with something yucky?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I was just wondering on the worms, because a friend of mine's child had gotten them, tapeworms I think they were. Would they get them from touching poo or do you have to eat something yucky or something that has been in contact with something yucky?
Has to get in the mouth.

If your dog has worms, sniffs its poop (eggs on dog nose) and then sniffs your daughter's face, and your daughter at some point licks her lips or eats - Voila! She might get worms.

It can be indirect - from soil for example.

But it has to get into the intestinal tract. So washing hands frequently is the best solution.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my kid ate goat poo

I died lol

Nicole is around everything barefoot also
she loves the chicken coops too

I give up
I try to "control" but it doesn't happen...life happens lol

go with the flow but always be careful of what harm an animal can do with its beak, claws, mouth, hooves etc etc those are the fastest to the emergency room problems lol

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mmmm goat berries! Ewwwwww :p

I came to work with chicken poop in my hair yesterday. I didn't even notice until I brushed my hair back and it got on my hands. :sick