Toddler getting a little too up-close and personal with chickens...

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I definitely agree KC!
When I was visiting family we all went outside to their perfectly manicured lawn, and a certain family member insisted that her 3 y/o put on his shoes as to not get his feet dirty and when she encountered TWO mosquitoes, she ran to go get the bug spray and insisted on spraying everyone. At this point I ran away screaming. This kid is sick usually about once a month!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Shiloh Acres said:
I suspect worms and various parasites in humans are a LOT more common than most people realize. Even in the current generally-sanitized US society.
I am definitely with you on that one! It is in fact where many of our auto immune diseases come from.
I'd heard that too. And saw a news piece on a lady who had a deadly "brain tumor" but it was a parasitic worm balled up in her brain. :ep

Oh, my toddler's a farm girl alright, digging in the dirt, toting around a critter of one kind or another all day long and going barefoot in the grass. I was just wondering about crawling on your hands and knees through a chicken coop. :p Well, and I also know how badly my coop needs cleaned right now too. :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well, crawling on ur hands and knees thru a chicken coop IS NOT recommended lol but try to stop her right? lol I would explain to her best u can that there are "nastys" on the ground maybe u can at least keep her on her feet :lol:

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Although I think that children should be allowed to be dirty and mine ran around naked outside quite a bit in their toddler years, allowing them to play in feces is beyond my limit.

Feces can carry lots of diseases and you are playing russian roulette. Of course you do not have the risk of large industrial farms but how can you really know what is out there.

If you won't let your child play in human feces why in chicken or goat? You think they are cleaner than humans? The risk is the same.

Many people get pin worms and often they will pass of by themselves even without treatment.. but if I saw them I would seek treatment anyway to be sure. The homeoapthic remedy Cina has a great reputation for eliminating pin worms, and I would try that first before any chemical.

The problem with parasites is that many doctors in the US do not believe in thier reality in ithis country and they can go for a long time undiagnosed. I have had 3 patients over the years who have died from parasites and the families were never even warned to get checked out themselves.... so their on the patienst death beds I am also educating the family on what they need to do to make sure they are alright too.....this is the result of very sloppy medicial care.

Here is an interesting story I received from a woman in Montana who had a very bad case of parasites that was misdiagnosed for over 8 years. She had several kinds of worms and it is interesting to note that tapeworm can carry other parasites that will infect along with them. This woman also had roundworm and fluke. Parasites can carry other parasites although it is uncertain that they came in with the tapeworm many people think that this can happen. http://www.healthsalon.org/487/parasite-cure-tapeworm-roundworms-mms-cures-parasites/

In the link above be sure to click on the green word 'here' in the first paragraph of the article. It has photos of what this woman was dealing with. Then at the end of the page is the comment area where others dealing with parasites have given their story.

when I was a colonic therapist in my younger years I saw a number of parasite cases. It is not as rare as the medical profession would have you think. The people who had these parasites at the time didn't even know it.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I absolutely and completely agree with what Mackay is saying...question for you though, what is the chinese remedy and is it safe for 1 year olds? I highly suspect my grandaughter needs a worming, and am not sure what to give her. Any advice?
I have dewormed myself for years, and yes, you sould be shocked to find out what comes out of a persons body! If you think you don't have any issues with it, think again everyone!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:
The problem with parasites is that many doctors in the US do not believe in thier reality in ithis country and they can go for a long time undiagnosed.
Heck, look at the epidemic of bedbugs in this country now! Who would've ever thought...??!!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Mackay, that's what I was wondering about. I read the article through and followed several links. Sure does make your skin crawl to think about it, huh! Looks like the MMS is only FDA approved for purifying water (which is also handy info). I would be a little concerned about using it though, especially on children.

MorelCabin, what do you use to treat them yourself?

We all know the signs and the effects of a heavy worm load on our livestock. A few parasites are to be expected. It's when they overload and clog up the body that problems start to occur. Chickens will get worms just from eating grasshoppers, crickets and earthworms. So I know they have them to some degree most all of the time. That's why I treat them once a year, to clean them out a bit.

Similarly, what steps should we take for ourselves? We have an advantage--eating cooked foods, washing hands, NOT eating poop! :p But we can still come in contact with them through our animals and our environment. I'm beginning to wonder if I might need to deworm myself! I have had increasing trouble with fatigue over the past few years and random, nagging aches and pains, as well as terrible brain fog (I am only 33). I was thinking maybe I had a vitamin or mineral deficiency of some sort, but I think parasites are something I need to look into as well...

I also agree with Blackbird, it is just as unhealthy to sterilize everything. Your immune system needs a little challenge from time to time to keep it running strong. But there has to be a healthy balance. Living the country life does give us more exposure than some others. Although it's interesting to note that in the case of the lady with the "brain tumor", her worm came from eating undercooked pork, not crawling through the chicken coop. :rolleyes: Kids are like puppies and they get into more things that put them at higher risk.

I am wanting to know more--if my child ~should~ get them, what signs to look for and how to treat them. I'm more interested in herbal/holistic remedies than OTC right now, although I know that some cases require bringing out the big guns. Also more preventative type things, like ACV or ingesting foodgrade DE--has anyone here tried/had good results with things like that?

LOL, I wonder if you could take in a human stool sample to the vet (maybe say it was from the dog). Probably cheaper than going through your doctor! I know with my animals, that it's better to target the specific worms they are having trouble with, rather than deworming blindly and causing the parasites to build up resistance to the treatment.

I seem to have opened up a pretty big CAN OF WORMS. :gig But really, I think this is something that bears considering.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I seem to have opened up a pretty big CAN OF WORMS.
booooooo! bad joke!!! boooooooo!!!

actually thats pretty darn funny! whoot!
:)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, your doctor will probably try and tell you that there is no reason to test, and if you can convince him to actually test, he might only test for pinworms...but there are a great many more than that...you would really be better off taking it to the vet...considering that humans can be host to almost any worm your dog can, and they test dogs for everything.
I use a herbal product, ti is a three month process the first time but boy does it change your life! You will feel like you're 15 again! It's called Clearstart by a company called Unicity. You can find them online.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, I know my doctor would be no help in this. :/ She's a great doctor, in many ways, but like most she is far too ready to pull out the old rX pad for everything.

A friend of mine recently started seeing a homeopathic doctor for help with vertigo and anxiety after we suggested he try valerian for his anxiety, which is what I use. We are supposed to go have dinner with them next Monday, so I am going to get the name of his doctor. I don't know what it may be, but I really need some help with this fatigue I've been having. I don't function like I used to and my productivity is way down. I need to get to the bottom of it.

Is this what you're using, MorelCabin? http://www.purenhealthy.com/Unicity_Paraway_Pack_now_ClearStart_p/uni-2000.htm

I also found this one with Swanson that sounded good to me. I'd heard of using black walnut hull before. http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NAP01/ItemDetail

Not really finding anything approved for children though. It's curious that they routinely use ivermectin (and probably pyrantel pamoate too) on children in third world countries, but not here. As I understand it, our American diet actually makes us more susceptible to parasite problems than they are!