Tomatoes from seed?

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, so I have the fan on, and things are sprouting like crazy... one problem. The lettuce is having a hard time in the wind, but I can't scoot the fan farther away or turn it lower. I could probably mov ethe starts, but if it will leave me with a hardier lettuce, I would just as soon leave them there. Is this natural selection, or do lettuce starts generally not do well in a breeze?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
What variety of Cherry Tomato are they so lucky?
I don't even remember by now. It has reseeded for so many years--and I can barely remember from one year to the next, so....

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Team Chaos said:
Tips I live by- you've heard about the close light source and I want to underline that. Don't let your little ones get spindley.
Fan- I keep a fan on low 24/7 and rotate the seedlings so that they get varying light and currents. This makes them stout and hearty.
The air circulation will also help eliminate white mold and dampening off.
Absolutely on the fans! Not only does it help prevent disease and damping off, it preps them for outdoor life.

Another note: Be sure to "harden them off" before planting outside. This is just a gradual exposure of the plants to outdoor life. I start with 2 hours outside in the shade the first day, up to 4-6 the next, more after that, then moving out into sunlight for longer and longer periods of time, then overnight. Approximately a 10-14 day process.

I planted almost 360 tomato plants today! And 72 eggplants. Next come peppers... These all went into a baking cart with a crockpot of water in the bottom--my homemade germination chamber--and then they'll go into the lean-to greenhouse. Can't wait to see how they do this first year with the greenhouse!

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I need help. I have never done plants from seed indoors until now. My squash all look great. Cucumbers great...tomatoes look SO tiny tiny tiny even after the seeds sprouted weeks ago. Seriously they are like 2 inches tall, single stem with 2 leaves each. I have been setting them outside on days warm enough and back indoors at night (except a night I forgot them 2 days ago) So is that rate of growth normal?

User4960

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Eggrookie, I'd have to know a few things about what's going on with your tomatoes first.

First, how warm is "warm enough"? It's those cool or cold hours that could slow their growth down even if most of the time they are warm enough.

Second, what variety are your tomatoes? Some varieties will grow slower than others. I used to grow over a hundred different varieties. Some are slower than others. One called Thai Pink Egg was the winner for the slow early growth contest.

3rd, is it possible your soil mix for the tomatoes was different, perhaps with a more acidic soil mixed in it? Yes, I made the experiment some years back to see how well tomatoes grew in "azalea and rhododendron" potting soil mix. tomatoes grow real slow and stunted in it.

4th, and here's a real possibility: Look closely at the soil your tomatoes are growing in. Do you see any almost invisible camoflaged soil colored gnats?
Gnats are a real bugger. They eat at the roots of tender seedlings, sometimes killing them, but more often just stunting and slowing them down.
Diatomaceous Earth mixed in with the potting soil is pretty effective against them.
These days they sell a pound for like 10 bucks. Used to be able to get a 50 pound sack of agricultural grade for 20 bucks, but the chem companies make more money selling poison...

Those gnats especially love the roots of Tomatoes and Cantaloupes. Both have sweetly aromatic plants. They will also get any plant's seedling. Some varieties tolerate gnats better than others simply because as seedlings they make more roots. Sweet Siberian Watermelon, Czech Select Market Tomato, Noir des Carmes Cantaloupe are more tolerant.

Also, if your conditions are right for gnats, they will be right for Whiteflies real soon. Whiteflies look like ultraminiature F-16 fighter Jets, bright white. They damage plants and make things sticky, but usually don't kill the plants. But they increase.

All is indeed NOT lost if these are what ails your tomatoes. Get that diatomaceous earth, and since it is expensive, use it judiciously. At the first sight of the next onslaught which will be Whiteflies, make some

Nicotine Tea, and use it right. Then you'll be sweeping up mini f-16's...

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow lots of things to consider I see. I planted the seeds about a month ago. Ok here goes:
1. Warm enough....65-70 degrees.
2. Varieties: all heirloom seeds from Baker....Cherokee Purple, Plicer Vesy, Snow White, Violet Jasper and Chadwick Cherry.
3. I used organic seed starting mix by Jiffy
4. I do not find any evidence of infestation.
Thanks for any input you all might have. I am making chicken manure tea right now and thought I might try it.....