Top 100 Items to Disappear First During a National Emergency

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I can tell you right now, if there is a full scale national emergency, I'm going to use it as an excuse to stop doing laundry all together. So I guess I can put the money I saved on the washboard and wringer (#111) toward chewing gum (#24) and cigarettes (#26).

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA HA
who knows what favors you can bribe with cigs and gum..HA HA----you might be having to pay off prisioners that got loose..LOL

I wish we could use "less of an excuse" than a national emergency to get out of doing laundry.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
HA HA HA
who knows what favors you can bribe with cigs and gum..HA HA----you might be having to pay off prisioners that got loose..LOL

I wish we could use "less of an excuse" than a national emergency to get out of doing laundry.
Hopefully I won't have to waste my gum and cigs on prisoners. I was hoping your drunk neighbors would hunt them down with guns and night vision goggles. I was just planning on taking up smoking and chewing gum to deal with all of the stress of having to wear body armor while I walk my rottweiler.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA HA HA
you have me cracking up! Good post!!!!!

Yup, while the hunt is on for the escapees, I would love to share your gum and cigs. I guess we could confiscate the booze and just relax a little further to reduce the stress of the emergency...LOL.LOL

while the menfolk are out hunting, we could put up razor wire around the house....#114...oh, no razor wire on that list. I guess just high voltage from the generator will have to do..HA HA

this thread is funny...I am enjoying it!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick FarmerChick FarmerChick,

You don't have razor wire around your house already? There's a reason it's not on the list. Some things just go without saying DUH!!! You better work on that post-haste. No gum or cigarettes for you until that is DONE!

This thread is cracking me up. But seriously I CANNOT and WILL NOT be constantly worrying about and preparing for every contingency. I truly believe that my time is better spent hugging my children and laughing with my friends. I know that if disaster strikes, I will make the best use of the resources I have available at the time, whatever they may be.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Actually, I plan on making do with having a stack of copies of the "List" .... to bribe or barter with.

How in the world will people know what they should be bartering for, in a case like this, without the "LIST"? :D Supply and demand, baby, supply and demand.... :cool:

You folks crack me up!!! :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Y'all are much more fun than silly lists :)

I think almost everything on those lists falls pretty squarely into one of three categories: 1) "If you need someone to tell you this, you don't need it because you will die of fright within the first 24 hours"; 2) "If you think this will prepare you for most emergencies, you don't need it because you will die of distracted stupidity within the first 24 hours"; and 3) things that are important but can probably be scrounged if you need them, unless you live waaay out in the middle of nowhere.

Quite honestly? I think that if circumstances ever got really bad (but not so bad that the roving Mad Max -esque guys just kill us all), then most of the really useful supplies (old bedsheets and buckets and garbage cans and copper tubing and lantern mantles and chain and tarps) will be lying around in plain sight everywhere, free for the taking or asking or trading for a pack of cigarettes or bag of Snickers, because an awful lot of people these days are sadly too un-used to thinking about such things to RECOGNIZE their value.

If nothing else, anyone within walking distance of a junkyard or dump, or the kind of ravine where everyone illegally tips their refuse into the creek, will be sittin' pretty, relatively speaking ;)

Pat

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
poppycat said:
This thread is cracking me up. But seriously I CANNOT and WILL NOT be constantly worrying about and preparing for every contingency. I truly believe that my time is better spent hugging my children and laughing with my friends. I know that if disaster strikes, I will make the best use of the resources I have available at the time, whatever they may be.
Plus 1!

I, too, will keep my towel handy to wrap around my head in case of invasion.

Cassandra

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
I, too, will keep my towel handy to wrap around my head in case of invasion.

Cassandra
OK Cassandra, I think you are completely ready. Just please don't look to me to wash your towel. Beekissed can try to bribe me with all of her lists, but in any emergency, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, am I ever doing laundry again.

Latest posts