Top 100 Items to Disappear First During a National Emergency

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Things like a washboard are what I would be using today had the power not come back on. We were without power but not without the task of clearing out downed trees and getting our clothes filthy while cutting, carrying and stacking the wood. Things for barter like cigarettes or booze ... if someone has something you want and cash has no value then being able to trade them smokes for seeds for your garden isn't too bad. I can always refuse to take cash and say that I will sell veggies or meat to people who can pay in what I need ... maybe some chewing gum to calm my toddler and keep her from crying. Something to keep the kids lives as close to normal as possible. People talk about buying gold and using that to pay for items but a big chunk of gold for a dozen eggs ... how do you get change for that gold chunk? Now if you have extra needles and thread ... that I'd think would be a good trade for a dozen eggs. I can then mend the clothes that I can't run into town and buy replacements for.

We take for granted that we can run into town and buy things like a new battery for that fancy digital thermometer. Your kid is running a fever and its snowing outside and your car won't make it to town. The battery is dead on your digital themometer ..... suddenly that old fashioned thermometer would be real handy. Keeping track of how high a temp goes and watching it go down is needed when you have youngsters.

Guns, ammo, body armour .... http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0328/p01s02-ussc.html?s=t5 The people of New Orleans that had guns were safe. Would you rather have the person kicking in your door at 2 am be greeted by you with a nice cup of tea or would you rather protect your family from what they plan to do and they don't want witnesses. If someone kicks open a door into your home and they have night vision they can find you. If you have night vision ... you can find them. You can also see what is in the yard being barked at by your dogs and have the advantage of them not seeing your flashlight beam. It's actually pretty handy. I can see what is down at the chicken coop without running the furry thing off before I can get around the edge of the coop to shoot it. IF an animal sees your light ... they will run. Anything to give you the advantage over the person or thing that is against you is worth it.

Many things on the list are for if the absolute worst happens. But just like when you fasten your seat belt in the car ... its not that you plan to wreck your car but it could happen and its better to be prepared. Just like that extra jug of water. You might not need it now but how can you flush the toilet without it if the power goes out right now. Your chickens and other critters need water also. No electricity ... no hose to take water to the buckets for your dogs or chickens.

Cots .... if we had to have guests like the neighbors over due to the weather then I'd like to have a cot or two for them to sleep on. Especially if you have older people coming to stay. Things like that are for staying at home not carrying around outside.

The geiger counter .... better to have one and not need it then need one and not have it. We have been poking the big Russian bear lately with a stick. Russia has nukes. Also dirty bombs are possible. They are small and not expensive - about 50.00. Also the people of Japan didn't think they would get bombed during WWII. We didn't expect airplanes to fly into the twin towers either.

Imagine right now ..... the power goes out and the generator has failed. Can you cook? Can you flush? Can you keep your kids from panicking? The idea is to keep things as close to normal as possible.

No the list isn't perfect but it gives some good ideas. Katrina ... the worst was shown but it also should have opened some eyes as to what can happen. How many people thought that Katrina would hit and people would be stealing tv's and nike shoes? Disasters bring out the worst in people and the best. Having your family ready for what could happen won't kill anyone. I can list lots of links that show local governments telling people to have supplies for three days put back ( http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/departm...agement/Assemble a Disaster Supplies Kit.aspx one link)

Having water, warmth, shelter, food and other essential items just takes up some room in your garage or basement. But not having them .... and you can't run to town and get them ... would be bad. You don't need everything on the list. It's just a list to help people think about things that they don't usually have to think about. Yesterday I went to Walmart to get some items and there were no batteries in c or d cell, no bottled water, no camp stoves, no flashlights and very few candles. But since we had those items already ... we were fine. Just stop and think about if the roads were not passable and the power was off ..... how would you do?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Is the towel a nod to the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"? :lol:

I think I will fill a warehouse with batteries of all kinds and then defend it with my life...and dole out batteries for barter! :D :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
poppycat said:
Just please don't look to me to wash your towel. Beekissed can try to bribe me with all of her lists, but in any emergency, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, am I ever doing laundry again.
Then I think you had better have more than one towel

:D

Pat

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Is the towel a nod to the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"? :lol:

I think I will fill a warehouse with batteries of all kinds and then defend it with my life...and dole out batteries for barter! :D :lol:
Yes! One of my favorite books.

And I think you have just had a stroke of genius with the battery idea. I wish I had thought of it! Maybe I will stock up a closet full of matches. You can fit a lot of matches in a closet.

Cassandra

Attack-cat, I don't intend to make light of what you are saying. But in THAT kind of disaster, I am not going to be one of those ultra-prepared types that (if in the movies) would be driving around ruling the cities with their automatic weapons and spiked armor. It's just not in my nature. If things get so bad you can't even get matches or toilet paper, my family will high-tail it to the remotest woods we can find and live like the birds & bears... off what we can scrounce. (If we survive the initial desctruction, that is.) If something like that happens, I wonder how many of us will be left, anyway.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Attackcat, I have nothing against people making whatever preparations they think are necessary. I just think we all have different opinions about what needs to be done. I would just hate to see someone living with constant fear and anxiety because they didn't have EVERYTHING they might need in a disaster. Because you really just never know what is going to happen. Worrying about tomorrow robs today of it's joy.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I think my most important tool in an emergency would be faith. Yep, faith can get one past the worry about being prepared for anything.

NOONE can be prepared for anything and, while its nice to think of having things...just in case...getting all juiced up for a world disaster is just exhausting when you think of all the eventualities.

What's the worst that can happen? You die. If you are prepared to die at any time(which is a good way to live) then you have covered all the bases. Anything else is just so much fluff until you DO die! The various methods of dying, some more painful than others, of course, will still result in the same thing. I'm not fatalistic, just practical! :D

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Everyone, no offense taken. I do prep but I'm not fanatical about it. I pick up extra cans of whatever is on sale that we use often and try to make it so that if the power goes out for a legth of time all will be calm here. That failed miserably when the power was out recently. The kids were bored and drove me to tears. I then took it out on hubby. It was a mess. I thought I was better prepared but without power we lost lots of food from the freezer and I mean lots. I had planned on doing some canning soon. So we lost a lot of money and comfort. I don't want anyone else to go through that. No we have a generator so we won't take a big loss on food again. We had the basics but a few nicities would have been great! Like some hard candy and new things for the kids to do other than annoy me! We have toddlers. :D We do have some night gear because where we live the sheriff can't get out here fast and we have had some problems recently. My hubby works nights and we had someone walking around on the back porch while he was at work. It scared me pretty badly. Now I can look out and see what is roaming the yard. Out here if something happens and you scream for help ... no one will hear you.

Faith is what keeps this household running. Without Him we would fail. The first thing I do in the morning is thank the good Lord for another day and then I log onto ..... http://icanhascheezburger.com/ for a good cup of humor! I want to be secure enough to not have to worry about going into town for anything if the power is out or something happens. Where we live you can't just run into town on a whim. And thats when the power is on! The roads are so crooked they must have followed a snake to make them. So I would like to be able to keep the household happy and calm no matter what situation occurs. I would have loved to have had something for the kids to do when they were sitting on the couch going "Mommy turn on the light." I wanted a cup of hot chocolate so bad!!!! But that would mean getting the bowl and cup dirty and then I couldn't wash it. My stored up water was needed for the critters. Just little things that I didn't think about until the power was off. Every bowl that we used ... sat in the sink dirty. At Walmart yesterday I bought paper plates and things that I can toss out or burn. I had yogurt for breakfasts in the little cooler but it took a spoon and bowl for both kids to have breakfast. Just little things that would have made life simpler. As soon as we hooked the generator up I did dishes! Just don't learn the hard way my new friends. That little spell we had with no power was miserable.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Attack-cat: You rock if you could get through those days with no power and not go completely insane with toddlers.

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you Poppycat! I lost my mind somewhere already so now I'm just kinda numb!!! LOL

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
attack-cat: Where are you? What disaster & how long was your power out? I was in the same boat after Gustav.

I had some water stored up in plastic 2 ltr bottles, treated according to the WHO method of treating water for storage. You are only supposed to store that water for six months and mine is almost two years old. So I didn't think it was fit for drinking, but I did wash dishes with it!

It was so gross, too because I hate icky dish water. I put one bottle of water on one side of the sink and added soap. I put two bottles of water on the other side of the sink for rinsing. It was cold and the wash side got slimy fast, but it got the job done--to disaster standards, anyway. But like you, I had a sink full of dirty dishes THE WHOLE TIME.

Luckily, I didn't have to worry about water for the animals. We got torrential rains for the whole two days that the power was off. I caught enough rain water off the roof to fill up a 6' diameter kiddy pool. (A lot of water) It wasn't exactly pristine, but it was - again - good enough for a disaster. It was also a life saver for flushing the toilets.

For heating up soup and stuff (because the rain was literally too bad to grill outside) I took a granite canner, put a flower pot upside down inside the canner, put a plate on top of the flower pot, put about a dozen tea candles on the plate and lit them, put an oven rack on top of the canner (which was a few inches above the candles). I used my iron skillet and while it didn't get hot enough to boil water, it would bring canned stew & chili to a simmer.

For washing up (the filthy kid) I got some of the rain water, strained out the grit by pouring it through a mesh strainer lined with several folded layers of a flour-sack dish towel. I used our drinking water for washing his face, but I washed the rest of him with this filtered rain water.

The rest of us didn't bathe for that two days, but the boy... man, he stayed filthy running in and out and playing in the water running off the roof.

He did drive me pretty batty. But we'd got some coloring books & colors and things for him to do when it was light. He kept asking to watch a movie or something, though. :D

Cassandra

Latest posts