Top 100 Items to Disappear First During a National Emergency

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
But that would mean getting the bowl and cup dirty and then I couldn't wash it. My stored up water was needed for the critters. Just little things that I didn't think about until the power was off. Every bowl that we used ... sat in the sink dirty.
Which is why I always keep a handy supply of plastic cups and paper plates. I finally persuaded my mom to do this when they had a lot of company but then she started washing the plastic cups at the end of the day! :lol:

I will tell you this...I think the most important thing folks need for power outages is a hand pump on their well. You can do just about anything if you have a water supply!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
attack-cat
please don't misunderstand my funning with the list. It was just fun to chat and goof off. Alot of things on the list are necessary obviously, some less important, until needed I am sure.

Cassandra--you had me laughing hard...and poppycat, I agree with you. I am not the "buy the list" in case of emergency person either. I have the basics and I live in the moment also. I don't plan on a national emergency just like I don't plan on any other disaster happening where I need 3 years of food stocked up. Just me...I don't have time to plan my life constantly, I do like to live the moment and smile! :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Since several have mentioned it - if you have no clean water with which to wash dishes, a stack o' rags will actually go a considerable ways. Just wipe the dish Real Clean and set the rag aside in a hamper or whatever to be washed when circumstances permit. If it is raining outside, you could rinse the dishes in the rain before wiping.

I am not saying that just wiping dishes is 100% guaranteed to avoid any possible microbiological consequence but I've done it a number of times and never had a problem, so it might be something to consider.

JME,

Pat

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Is the towel a nod to the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"? :lol:

I think I will fill a warehouse with batteries of all kinds and then defend it with my life...and dole out batteries for barter! :D :lol:
Yep - Love the book and the movie both.

I just have to get that dang song outta my head every time I watch the movie -

So long, and Thanks for all the fish -
Meriah

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
attack-cat- I am impressed with your responses. Very generous.
But you are more thoughtful than I would be- if people come to my place, it will be make do for sure.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that as I was reading through this post last night, I was in tears from laughing soooo hard!! Although I haven't completely read the lists, and I DO understand the point and gravity of all of this, I couldn't help but crack up!! :lol: I couldn't post, from laughing so hard!!

When I stop laughing, I'll come back and contribute something more substantial, LOL

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm enjoying putting this list through COVID test. Some of it holds up even though we didnt have difficulty with electricity, gasoline, or communications.

Chickens arent on the list, but they should be. 🤣
Dogs ended up not being size specific.
Toilet paper and prescriptions go to the top of the list. 🤣
Extra clothing wasnt specific enough. If we're staying home with plenty of essentials we need larger clothing. 🤣 If there is scarcity we will need smaller clothing (or ability to alter them)

I appreciate this thread for a light hearted look at how we can take care of ourselves better.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Covid has also let us see the holes in our preparedness. Of course, we didn't lose power or water, so that was not a problem.