3. Start berry patches -- blackberry and blueberry
4. Plant the chicken yard with plants that feed them better
5. Start Muscovy ducks, other meat ducks, and maybe layers
6. Start heritage turkeys
7. Get llama bred
8. Replace my milk does
9. Learn to crochet
10. Start producing items for gift shop

Haha, I thought it might be hard to come up with 10, but these are all already in works/plans, along with debating a few more projects. LOL I completely forgot to mention my chicken flock goals (selling purebred chicks and pullets, while working to develop my OWN strain of mutts for my own goals, so I can decide if I want to keep purebreds pure in following years).

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Deep Breath :lol:

1: try and transition out of the style of dress that marks me as being the Patriarchal Fundie type.
2: Expand the garden by 3 times?
3: Begin fence for our property
4: Hope to finally have full adrenal recovery so SS lifestyle is easier.
5: Finally convince in laws to get moved back up here so they are no longer complaining about missing out on all our lives.
6: Start canning.
7: Get a "root cellar" built in the craw space.
8: Set up a turkey Breeding building.
9: Set up a Sexlink breeding pen.
10: Out of ideas!!!!!!!!! :barnie

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I forgot one! This is more like a long term goal but create an Ideal chicken fro a homestead.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2011 goals

finish off selling all hogs

start 1/2 acre to 1 acre garden for ME--plant crazy varities I want to try

travel more! use my camper more! more beach trips. get away!!!!!!!!

relax, slow down, enjoy summer alot more now!

txhomegrown

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
1. Get out of this rent house and move to my land. Even if I have to live in a tent in the barn(seriously).

2. Get electricity hooked up

3. Run a water line.

4. Start my garden

5. Get shelters built for the animals.

6. Make the fences more secure.

7. Get chickens

8. Get goats

9. Start my worm ranch

10. Plant trees. Shade, fruit, nut etc.....

As you can see, I am at the start-up point, just needing to do the basic basics. I have one more year before I can take early retirement at 62. I want to have some supplemental income to go with that big "guvment" check. 372 days and counting.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Hen23 - GREAT career choice!! It's a path I wish I'd chosen a few years ago when I got my masters!
Thanks! Long story short- I got my Masters in SLP in 1985. Then never followed through to get my certification and left the field. Now I'm back at it but can only work as an assistant until I get off my duff and get those pieces of paper.

OH! #10- Get goat(s) bred!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In no particular order:
1- Go back to college this fall
2- Move back OUT of my Mom's house ;)
3- Start a REAL garden this spring (currently have herbs and broccoli growing in containers)
4- Get meat critters;)
5- Decide WHICH meat critter to get :lol: (jury's still out!)
6- Find a source for raw milk!!!!
7- Perfect my laundry soap
8- Start making my own deodorant
9- No more boxed Fettuccine Alfredo since y'all have provided me recipes to try :D
10- Does there have to be a 10? I'll come edit when I think of it ;)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
1. plan and build new garden (starting from scratch...ugh)
2. finish goat barn and fencing and bring home my babies
3. bees- get my new hives assembled and read up on beekeeping
4. start worm farming again
5. learn more about this GF stuff and cook more
6. try to structure our homeschooling a little better (for my sanity)
7. try to be happier, more grateful
8. learn to can
9. make soap, cheese, yogurt, and other goat milk goodies
10. exercise more ( I already bought the butt and leg shaping shoes :cool:)

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
1. Declutter/simplify - sell what I can and either donate or trash the rest. If an item doesn't have a specific place it has got to go.

2. Build more raised beds - I think I'm going to use the tire idea from another thread and put my tomatoes in them

3. Get some rabbits - the kids need more chores :lol:

4. Stick to a budget - I'm really good for about two months until something goes wrong and then the whole thing goes down the toilet. I really need to quit worrying about the numbers being perfect and just stick to it.

5. Plant at least 2 fruit trees

6. Stay off caffeine for a full year. - I do really good until finals come around, then I'm back to drinking Coke like it's going out of style. Luckily the college is switching from quarters to semesters this fall so finals won't come around quite as often.

7. Put up a fence to keep the chickens out of the garden. - I haven't decided whether I'm going to put the fence around the garden or the chickens. It would be really easy to put a fence around just the raised beds, but I hate to put a fence around the big garden because that limits expansion and using the tractor. On the other hand I really like having my chickens free-range because it really cuts back on the feed bill and I love watching them play from the house.

8. Get a milk cow. - I could get one next month if I want, but I'd have to keep her at my FIL's barn. The barn is only a 1/4 mile away, but I'd still rather have her here on my property. Maybe the drive twice a day would be motivation to get my barn finished.

9. Get bees. - Well technically I'll probably have to wait until spring 2012 to actually get the bees, but I'm going to have all the stuff ready and order the packages this fall.

10. Get a job. - Half of my goals require money and poor DH's paycheck is already stretched as far as it's going to go. I won't graduate from school until 2012, but I took a CNA class last quarter and plan on taking the license test next month. Hopefully I can find a part-time CNA job that will work around my class schedule so that I can make a little money while I'm finishing school.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
1. Stop making lists.

:D :lol:

1. Clean out, organize and eliminate all storage areas.

2. Rehome all things I have always intended to use for crafting, repurposing and "just in case".

3. Rehome sheep and most of chicken flock.

4. Advertise large garden fencing and posts for sale or for just removal.
5. Save leave and money towards my schedulled mid-life crisis in May~and drive where my whim takes me and finally work on that book!
6. Scale down gardening to small area.
7. Paint and otherwise spruce up the house.
8. Get rid of nasty old truck and purchase SUV~cash only, no payments for this gal.
9. Learn more, love more, laugh more.
10. Be patient and wait upon direction from the Lord.