Tortoise's 2018 garden(s)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
IMG_5139.JPG
Hoe and grow and hoe and grow.... Prettiest garden I've ever worked on! :love I had to take photos quick before it gets overrun with weeds. :gig
IMG_5140.JPG

Tomatoes are growing!!!

IMG_5141.JPG

Wood chips are here!!! Pile looks so small.... until I start trying to move it!
IMG_5138.JPG

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am trying a lot of new things this year! I hope some of them are successful

1) homemade seed tapes to make planting physically easier. Also made seeding mats for hill/vine plants with looseleaf paper. I'm not as confident about the looseleaf breaking down fast enough.
2) starting peas indoors so the chipmunks don't eat my seed!!
3) growing tomatoes in rows and staking them Florida Weave style
4) companion planting and intensive spacing to try to shade out weeds
5) plant groundcover rather than tilling pathways
6) scheduling planting and seed starting, I am not sure I will get into succession planting this year
7) planting ALL THE SEEDS to ramp up production for future market gardening / gaining experience for market gardening
8) recordkeeping! <--- completely new venture. Our past style has been to throw down some seed and hope it grows faster than the weeds. :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I also have a few other garden projects/areas going on.

I have a lasagna garden forming, atop blacktop. I may plant annuals for roots to hold the "stuff" together. It's not thick enough to plant perennials yet. It may be a few years. DH thinks I am crazy!

I have to start over on a large flower bed area. It was overtaken by weeds last year. Roundup is starting to sound good, but I'm going to try to smother it out one more time with cardboard and compost. I have visions of starting a Pick Your Own flower garden, but I can't seem to make it happen in reality. The only flower I had success with last year was hollyhock. I do love hollyhocks! I saved their seed and hope for exponentially more of them this year.

I am trying to develop more garden areas nearer to my house for more tender plants that need TLC. Last year, free range chickens thwarted my attempts.

I also have plans for 2 out of 3 of DH's livestock food plots! I have mangel beet seed for one and leftover pumpkins, squashes, zucchini seeds for the other. I'm over hoarding old seeds. It ends up costing us money when we buy new packets every year that just sit while we use up even older seed.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It almost feels as though the weather is cleaning out its closets- getting rid of all the dribs and drabs before summer comes

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am way behind on my garden and I don't even have snow as an excuse!

For no till, collect cardboard. Lay it down and cover with mulch, it keeps weeds down!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We had 8.75" of snow! Now the forecast is highs of 40's. By Monday, maybe 60. I might have plants in my greenhouse in 2 weeks. I hope my little leggy tomatoes can hold out that long!

I am making more seed tapes today. My lettuce seeds arrived yesterday and I plan to use them freely to shade out weeds.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My tomatoes are getting a leggy start. I have them planted 4 per cell (jiffy pellet). I'm think I should transplant and plant them deeply (covering a good part of that leggy stem with soil) and let them grow adventitious roots. I should be able to use my greenhouse during the days at least starting today and overnight in a week or so. So I think they won't get terribly leggy after today.