Training Boi - Mobility Service Dog

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If anybody can, you can! A member on TEG uses an English Shepherd for her service dog. They are brilliant smart. I hear that there is a future breeder of English Shepherds right here on SS! Maybe you two could collaborate on training Service Dogs......... ;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Too smart can be really hard to deal with in service dogs. Remember they are trained to open doors, cabinet doors, garbage cans, the fridge. A very smart dog with service dog training can be a danger to itself. 😂 Thats a reason I like working with Great Danes. Trainable, but dumb! 😂😍

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Last night DH made popcorn. Boi likes popcorn, so DH was dropping it on the floor, putting pieces on his chair and on his legs. Boi was approaching and eating them.

He seems to do better with DH coming home if he is on leash and I correct growling/vocalizing.

DH has been coming in with winter hunting clothes and gear on, so different sights and sounds this week when he comes indoors.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I dropped off boxes of food for quarantined families yesterday and stopped at a busy street to train Boi on the sidewalk. He is doing great with traffic, but he is still a little too interested in people. It was much better than last time I walked him on that sidewalk. 😍

pretty young still though right? if so i'd consider that very normal and would kinda be worried if he weren't...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Boi was neutered this morning. DH took him in. We were worried Boi might be growly towards DH in the truck, but DH rolled the window down and Boi stuck his head out and wagged his tail. I'm glad the ride went smoothly!

I have been filing Boi's nails to get them shorter. Its working! Short nails prevent damage when he does pawing tasks. I've been impatient to get his nails short because my doors had been getting scratched up.
20201123_141252.jpg

Latest posts