trapping rats

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's most likely an urban legend, but I know rodents do tend to develop canabilistic tendencies. I certainly won't encourage it though!

Are you going to try the bucket trap? I'd love to know if you do, how it worked for you.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@sumi - We are about to try that bucket trap RIGHTTTT NOW. I was out soaking some hides in the building earlier when I saw a mouse go scurrying by. My husband missed him, but then we caught another and he managed to pop it with a BB gun. SO- I will let you all know how this goes GLADLY with pictures.

edit: Just made the trap and got it ready for the night. I will let you know how it goes!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH and I made the bucket trap last weekend. But, we made it out of a trash can to catch all those rats we were sure would just jump in there.....ugh...we've caught exactly ONE rat and still see tons of rat tracks all through the mud...

However - Gracie has turned out to be an awesome ratter! My Westies were better but only because they were smaller and could get into places that Gracie can't get.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FEM.....you have a rat terrier? Maybe I shouldn't ask.....I'll be jealous ;)
Well, I still hear a bit of noise above me, but seems like a little less, but its early still.
DS just paced in front of me a little and asked if I thought anything was dead yet. I tell him, idk about dead, but I bet something is probably getting sick. At this time next week, I might be posting things that will bum all of you out. I have a lot of buckets and gadgets....I will see if I can put something together, but not sure rats couldn't get out. Maybe I can use DH's large wine vat.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No rat terrier... Gracie is an English Shepherd. I had two Westies at one time that were incredible rat killers, but I lost them...

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not familiar with the breed. Just appraised DS of the conversation we have going. He went up in the attic and informed me all the bait is gone, but I heard something a few minutes ago. He didn't see any sign of life up there.....or of death. But I put the 10 gallon wine vat, with peanut butter and for added insurance, I stuck a few rabbit pellets to it. I used one of DS's arrows as the shaft and an icing container as the roller.
Of course, DS thinks I'm too late and asked what do I hope to accomplish, so I tell him, if I can catch 7 rats, that are dying anyway, at least we will have their corpses to dispose of, instead of enjoy the aroma of their rotting flesh.
He told me to get some pine cleaner and ammonia and not to invite anyone over for 3 weeks......nice. Now what am I suppose to say to that.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@rhoda_bruce Yay, keep us posted! A neighbour told us years ago that he uses something with a little cough syrup on it for his traps. Apparently the rats are drawn to the sweet smell.

@frustratedearthmother Maybe try again? Glad to hear the dog is doing so well though. Our chickens used to help catch the mice, if they were fast enough to get them, which wasn't often lol DH was sitting in the house with a pellet gun once, shooting mice as he saw them (we had quite a few). He caught one in the doorway and shot it. As the mouse keeled over a chicken ran past, grabbed it and took off with it! I will never forget the look on DH's face, it was priceless!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Years ago, we had a mouse we just couldn't catch in the basement. And as much as I hated to do it, I finally put out the poison. I had a bucket of water down there for some reason. The mouse fell into it and drowned. So, we had no smell and it was easy to get rid of.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DD....maybe thats the ticket....water. Most poisons, claim they will get very thirsty, leave the house in search of water and drink until they die. Maybe if we'd put a large water access in the problem area, we wouldn't have dead rodents everywhere.
Well, its colder today and I hear things. I only put the vat and set the trap, but no water and I think I best put some. If I catch a rat and he doesn't drown, he will claw and scratch until he creates a hole.