'Tree' Bees

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
LG, I think this is going to be a little different than capturing a swarm...the way it sounds, this is a well established hive in this tree. They'll be a lot more touchy and the removal will much more tough than capturing a swarm, I do believe. It will take someone very experienced in this to get the bees and also the queen, while also getting all the brood comb.

Something Cool

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Getting them out is possible. Search trap out bee colony.

It's a drawn out process. Basically you keep the bees from returning for the next few weeks. Give them a home they can access right next to entrance with one way cone on it. The return bees start using that as home. Eventually everyone inside leaves and hopefully takes up shop in provided home.

I've done several trap outs by putting a weak colony at entrance and proceeding with trap out. The extra numbers boost the weak colony and I am able to get them out of the problem area.

You have to make sure to seal all access points to original colony. They will use all ways out to ensure they get back.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
O yeah! They have been in the tree since last year. The year before that they were in our eaves. Persistent little devils. We would love to be able to get them into a hive. You have any ideas?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you know they're not Africanized?I'd be careful down south catching swarms! I have talked to people that have done it but no first hand experience.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd call a local bee keeper for advice. Agreed with NH. Especially in the southern states chances are pretty good that they are Africanized. If so, your best bet is to destroy them. A beekeeper should be able to advise you regarding them. Or call your county Agricultural extension agent. Our tax dollars support these folks, and they are not earning their keep if they never get called!!!