'Tree' Bees

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck moving bees from a tree into a hive?

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
O yeah! They have been in the tree since last year. The year before that they were in our eaves. Persistent little devils. We would love to be able to get them into a hive. You have any ideas?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you know they're not Africanized?I'd be careful down south catching swarms! I have talked to people that have done it but no first hand experience.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd call a local bee keeper for advice. Agreed with NH. Especially in the southern states chances are pretty good that they are Africanized. If so, your best bet is to destroy them. A beekeeper should be able to advise you regarding them. Or call your county Agricultural extension agent. Our tax dollars support these folks, and they are not earning their keep if they never get called!!!

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You should have seen the honeycombs under the eaves!

I am pretty sure they aren't Africanized. I am able to mow fairly close to the tree. I will check with the County Extension Agent.

I was hoping someone had the experience of moving bees.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You should have seen the honeycombs under the eaves!

I am pretty sure they aren't Africanized. I am able to mow fairly close to the tree. I will check with the County Extension Agent.

I was hoping someone had the experience of moving bees.

Hon, you would need to have all the bee equipment to do so and also a hive to put them in if you wanted to move them. I'm betting you have beeks in your area that would do it for free as many will go and do captures to improve on and increase their apiary.

This guy here is someone I follow on YT and all his vids are on doing various bee captures like the one you describe: https://www.youtube.com/user/628DirtRooster

Do an online search in your area for state bee clubs and they will have the various branches, one of which should be in your area. They will likely be able to put you in touch with someone who will want your bees.

I agree with you...they are not Africanized...you'd have already been stung horribly many times if they had been in your house and in your yard.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks Bee!

We don't want someone to come take the bees. It is a very busy tree. Unfortunately the tree is dying and we don't want to see them move on. We have been told that they can't be moved from the tree to a hive. You know me, if I am told it can't be done I will find a way to do it. :)