True Southerner

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
What's the difference between Yankees and D@mn Yankees? D@mn Yankee's don't go home!!!

Proud of my southern heritage!
Here they claim that the difference is that Yankee brings Money down with him and returns North when it runs out, A d@mn yankee stays and wants the natives to change to accept him.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Around here, it's the city folks. They move into the country to get away from it all, then try to bring it all w/them and complain about the smells of the farms, the noise from the tractors, etc.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep....same here Deb, makes me wanna just go as far back in the woods as I can and stay there forever. It seems the only way to get any peace anymore :/ Yankees are welcome here, so long as THEY acclimate, instead of trying to acclimate us to their standards, then trouble starts :p

Denim Deb

Reaction score
OK, would I be considered a Yankee since I'm from NJ? :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Maybe, but you aren't so citified...the accent would tell on ya, but you'd fit in pretty well about every other way as far as i can tell. ;)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Don't know about the accent. I get around a bunch of southerns, and I pick up the accent real quick. :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Oh, well get on down here so's we can get ya converted then ;) :lol:

Between my accent and pinky's accent we'd have you so screwed up nobody would be able to tell where you're from anyway :gig

Denim Deb

Reaction score
They can't anyway! I've been asked I don't know how many times where I'm from originally. I've lived in this area all my life and this is coming from other people from this area! :lol: Don't know if it has to do w/my Mom being from Canada and my Dad from this area or what. :hu

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
probably does have to do with your parents. Dialect is a funny thing, you don't just get it from locals, you collect enunciations inflection and tone from parents as well. That can make for very distinct accents.

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dialect and enunciations are a funny thing. I moved away from where I grew up 20 years ago. When I lived there, people would ask me where I was from, and would be floored when I told them that I was born, and raised right there.

When my Dad had his triple by-pass surgery three years ago, the one nurse was trying to figure out the connection between us. The first time I met her, she was changing the cathater bag, and told me to be careful, or she would pee on my boots. Told her it wouldn't be the first time. She asked if I had ever peed on my own boots, and had to tell her that it had been known to happen. Once we got the relationship established, she could see it. The thing that got her was that I talk more "rural: as she put it, but my Dad talked more city-like. It really blew her mind when I told her that he was the one that grew up in the country, and I was raised in the city. We had a good laugh over that one. She was a great nurse, and I do thank her for what she did for my Dad.