Trying new foods.....maybe.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
eeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

okay, now that I got that out first...being the pussy of the group, I'll admit right up front that I seem to favor really simple, traditional foods from OUR area. It took me a while to get used to the idea of gravy on practically everything, but...

I did go to a wild game feed years ago, had beaver, racoon, possum, you name it. I tried about everything and most of it was great. The only time I had gator, it was rather chewy and very rich.

If you're raised around it, or married into it, it's easier to adapt. Now if someone offered me soup with eyeballs, I'd probably chuck..or faint.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Stuff I've eaten:

bear, elk, buffalo, ostrich, venison, duck, pheasant, rabbit...

liver (pork, goose, beef, chicken...)
hearts
(my daughter LOVES poultry hearts - we never have turkey heart in our stuffing cuz mydaughter eats it)
Not fond of kidneys and lungs except chopped up as part of making the stuffing

Oxtail makes great soup
snails are yummy with plenty of garlic and butter
monitor lizard: a friend brought over a bunch of lizard and a bunch of chicken. The end of the meal, with my kids, there was a bunch of chicken leftover and the kids were asking if there was any more lizard.

Took years for me to enjoy oysters - wasn't until I met one with mignonette sauce that I decided they were okay.

Squid isn't my favorite but I'll eat it. Squid ink, again, isn't my favorite, but I'll eat it. Truffles (the fungus kind) smell like old gym socks to me. DH loves it. I tolerate it.

Eel is pretty yummy.

Lutefisk is okay if you put enough gravy on it.

Never had insects. Had a recipe for chocolate chirp (chocolate covered crickets) cookies once...

I'm not fond of things that are certain textures so while I'm fine with most sushi, sea urchin just doesn't work for me. Caviar otoh is yummilicious.

And I'm fine with cocktails with raw eggwhite - shaken not stirred.

ETA: Lamb? Lamb isn't weird. Lamb is delicious. Goat is good too. Donkey meat is kinda tough but yummy when stewed. Haven't had horsemeat but I would try it when I was in Italy if they have it.

cadjien_de_louisiane

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I eat

Nutria, Coon, frog legs, frog backs in a sauce picaunte, oxtail is awesome in a brown gravey, cow tongue, debris (all the cow inards in a gravey over rice), alligator, fish, shrimp, crawfish, duck, geese, rabbit, squirl.

Almost anything but believe it or not I think I draw the line with possum..

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
cadjien_de_louisiane said:
I eat

Nutria, Coon, frog legs, frog backs in a sauce picaunte, oxtail is awesome in a brown gravey, cow tongue, debris (all the cow inards in a gravey over rice), alligator, fish, shrimp, crawfish, duck, geese, rabbit, squirl.

First of all, :welcome from NE Ohio!

Second, I'm glad you set some boundaries!!! :lol:

cadjien_de_louisiane

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
I eat

First of all, :welcome from NE Ohio!

Second, I'm glad you set some boundaries!!! :lol:
Yea those things just look so nasty!

cadjien_de_louisiane

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I eat

liver, hear, kidney, heart, also deer to.

tas

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
wow sounds like you guys have had some pretty awesome feeds from the bush. I like spaghetty wallognaise (wallaby) ,roo ,venison, fried eel, tried pickled possum but was too rich for me, roast camel is good so is crock tail. mutton birds yummo, whitebait patties,guinea fowl, man the list goes on and on. it all beats plastic pies and supermarket steak.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Everyone who has chimed in.......WOW!
I've eaten pretty tame , like pigs feet, pigtail, oxtail....that's it!

If you can try something first, go ahead and try it!
But, if you can't, don't knock it!

This is what I've learned from everyone here!
Great lesson!

bjmstahl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've eaten goat, snails (escargoe? not sure of the spelling), squid :sick, and turkey nuggets ;). Didn't enjoy the snails, or the squid.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Around here, there's another name for squid. (Keep in mind that I'm not that far from the Delaware Bay)

Bait. :hide