Trying to pass a kidney stone-update

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
OK. I have a small kidney stone to pass. I went to the ER on Monday. I could barely walk in, then 2 hours later, I felt fine. The ER doc gave me pain pills.

OMG, does it hurt sometimes!! One minute I'm fine, the next, I'm in "white knuckle" pain. Then after a while, I'm fine again.

It's hard to go about your day when the pain may strike again. The only thing that hurt worse was natural childbirth.

I'm doing the lots of water to help flush it out.

Does anyone have any other remedies?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
OW! Hope you feel better soon!

I have heard that 1/2 cup of lemon juice added to 1 gallon water is supposed to good. That is the amount to drink per day. Personally, I think I would rather just drink lemonade. :)

Black currant juice is supposed to be good too. A local health food store should carry it.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I had one once and you just have to flush it through with water; I don't think there is anything that works better.
After it passed I drank so much water to prevent another that my doctor scolded me and told me to back off the water.
I am 100% sure it was caused by my HRT.
Never had one before or since going off that.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Most calculi are calcium composition. You can try to limit dairy intake. Drinking lots of pop is supposed to contribute to calculi formation. Drinking hard water is a source of mineral deposits also.

Prevention is the best medicine. For now, drink plenty of water and brisk walking can help move them along. Directional massage is helpful as well.

I've had numerous stones, a couple of them during pregnancies, one of which had to be removed. I still have a stent in the left ureter.

Some folks, no matter what they do, are prone to form calculi.

ETA: Some people swear by drinking beer to flush them out. ;)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I had one a few yrs ago that had to be surgically removed as it became lodged when it tried to pass on it's own. Now I have been batling small ones since Aug., my urologist has told me to avoid cola's, spinach, chocolate(yeah right!!) & nuts(including PB) to help keep them smaller & to help prevent any more from forming. Oh yes tea too. Dairy has nothing to do with them. Lemonade & limeade are supposed to help prevent them. Cranberry juice is helpful also. Anything that acts as a diuretic will help to flush it out. I do not envy you as it is extremely painful. To me it was worse than having a baby when mine got lodged as the pain was constant until after I woke up from surgery. Even after getting 200mg of demerol IV I could still feel the pain, but I could care less as I was in bigtime LA LA land.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would have to disagree with the dairy thingy, Home. When I was pregnant and consuming quite a bit of milk and dairy to keep my calcium levels good, I was forming quite large stones. When they were analyzed, they were mostly calcium. Doc said lay off the dairy! I did and still have them on occasion but usually years apart. The doc says that this is more than likely due to calcium levels in the well water.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was also told they aren't caused by too much dairy. I was told the main culprit was too much oxalic acid, often caused by a lack of dairy. Go figure.

Anyway - we all feel for you!

Inchy

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Inchy and Home....it appears that my doc may be behind the times!

It seemed obvious: Since most kidney stones contain calcium, the way to lessen the risk of developing them would be to cut down on dairy products, our main source of calcium.

That's what many doctors suggested to kidney stone patients for years. They also recommended drinking plenty of fluids to dilute the urine, making stone formation less likely and washing out existing stones before they cause obstructions.

Now some major studies challenge that standard advice.
But I will say this....when I cut out dairy I didn't get stones. Occasionally I will still treat myself with buttermilk which does not upset my GI tract like regular dairy. When I treat myself too often, I usually see an upswing in "sediment" type kidney stones....like passing grains of sand. When I back off it, I don't get them. I like very much not to get them! :D

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
There are different types of stones. Diet may have a part in which type of stone you get.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husband gets gout stones. Foods high in purines. Sea food, organ meats and Yeast. Too much beer triggered the last one.

I hope you feel better soon.