Trying to pass a kidney stone-update

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Today has been a pretty good day. (Thank goodness for pain pills)

The ER forwarded my catscan to my family doctor. He called while I was at the hospital with my Aunt. Anywho, I'm scheduled for an Xray tomorrow.

I've also read that kidney stones are formed from lack of fluid intake. I'm guilty of that, especially during the winter.

But now, I've been drinking so much that my eyeballs are floating. Flush, flush, flush . . .

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Inchy and Home....it appears that my doc may be behind the times!

It seemed obvious: Since most kidney stones contain calcium, the way to lessen the risk of developing them would be to cut down on dairy products, our main source of calcium.

That's what many doctors suggested to kidney stone patients for years. They also recommended drinking plenty of fluids to dilute the urine, making stone formation less likely and washing out existing stones before they cause obstructions.

Now some major studies challenge that standard advice.
But I will say this....when I cut out dairy I didn't get stones. Occasionally I will still treat myself with buttermilk which does not upset my GI tract like regular dairy. When I treat myself too often, I usually see an upswing in "sediment" type kidney stones....like passing grains of sand. When I back off it, I don't get them. I like very much not to get them! :D
Of course not everyone reacts the same to things. So dairy may cause you to develop stones where it doesn't most people. I need to schedule my KUB next week to check the status of my stones.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i had a friend once with this problem, they told him to sit in a warm bath several times a day to relax the body I guess. Im thinking I remember some thing about drinking tea too.

Ok, so not supposed to drink tea, its one of the no no's but I did find this

Mix 2 oz of olive oil and 2 oz of lemon juice, drink it straight down and follow with a large glass of water at the first sign of stone pain. The stone(s) will pass within 24 hours.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
As of Friday, my Dr. thinks a cyst on one of my ovaries may have ruptured. I have an appt. soon with my ob/gyn. That pain seems to mimic the pain of a kidney stone.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I hope this can be resolved quickly for you. :hugs

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I was younger (i.e. not menopausal) I used to have quite a few ovarian cysts. I know my daughters are thanking me for passing on that trait to them too. Anyway, be very careful because every once in a blue moon or so those ovarian cysts that rupture can go septic and give you a nasty infection. Most of the time it's just agonizing pain for a couple of days and then they're gone.

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hope they do have a definite diagnosis for you.
Just to let you know that high calcium levels can also be caused by an abnormal parathyroid. This gland regulates the calcium levels in your body and can cause many odd symptoms. So if they are doing blood work, anyhow, then I would get a calcium level drawn and if that is abnormal I would have a parathyroid level drawn.
Good luck and hope heal quickly.
Lin

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I hate to admit it because I'm sure its a sign of real old age when you have had every medical thingy before....but I suffer from ovarian cysts all the time~and I only have one ovary left!! :rolleyes:

When they are growing/filling with fluid, they really ache and hurt. When they burst, it burns like the dickens for awhile and then it feels all better until next time.

Wanna hear a gross story? My sis is a surgical nurse and they were going to do a cyst removal on a lady once. This lady was a pretty big gal, understand. When they made the initial incision they encountered a membranous substance....they widened the incision....it was still there...a white membrane....widened it further still.....had to keep cutting...

When they finally started to "surface" this cyst and lift it out of the incision(rather huge incision by this time) it burst open! The drapes around the surgical patient have pockets to catch fluids. Some of the fluid they didn't catch....what they did catch was 80 lbs!!!! This gal was walking around with an 80 lb. cyst and didn't even know it!

Thereafter, I always joke with my sis that I just KNOW that my ovarian cyst is really 80 lbs and explains all this flubber around my middle! :lol: Just think about losing 80 lbs in one surgery!!! :celebrate

Sis said the fluid looked like egg whites.....I guess that would make sense but it still grosses me out! :sick

Latest posts